Simkin: try some tasty tofu

By Sarah Simkin

Sure, it might look like nothing but opaque Jell-O and without appropriate preparation might… Sure, it might look like nothing but opaque Jell-O and without appropriate preparation might taste blander than the paper. But tofu has more going for it than you might think.

There’s not necessarily a call to cut out red meat, chicken or other protein sources that might have formerly had faces and made endearing noises unless religious or moral reasons compel you to do so.

But non-meat sources of protein can be healthier, more convenient and even cost effective. There’s a reason that tofu has been in continuous culinary usage since the Han dynasty of ancient China.

Low in calories and fat and high in iron, calcium and protein, tofu is no longer an obscure or difficult-to-find food item and is certainly no longer just for die-hard vegetarians and their sinister zealot cousin vegans.

Yes, it’s available at organic foodie meccas like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s, but you can also find it at Giant Eagle and IGA, as well.

Tofu is made by pressing the curds of coagulating soy milk into blocks, which might not sound terrifically appetizing, but it pales in grossness comparison to the processes of many snack foods we scarf down every day. Don’t tell me you thought Easy Mac got to be that shade of orange through any remotely natural occurrence.

So why should you consider ditching that burger or chicken sandwich for a soy product substitute?

For starters, you can do nearly anything with tofu. We’re talking just about any kitchen-related verb: Pan-sear it, grill it, sauté it in teriyaki sauce for a delicious and healthy addition to stir-fry — or stop by 360° in Market Central to have it done for you — toss it into a blender for a protein jolt to any shake or smoothie, or you can even bake it into what you might find a surprisingly tasty dessert.

Textured tofus can be used in “meat” sauces for pastas and lasagnas or substituted for tuna in a casserole. Unlike chicken or red meat, there’s no salmonella or potential bacteria to worry about. That is to say you could eat it raw if you wanted.

So some tofu dishes can require less cooking and preparation time making dinner faster and easier.

Soy’s not the only option in the faux-meat game. Enter seitan, the toast of the macrobiotic, Buddhist and vegan cooking communities, commonly known as wheat meat.

Charming rhyming moniker aside, this seemingly suspicious substance can be prepared to mimic a variety of meats, including substituting for duck when roasted.

With a typical expiration date of three weeks after its production, seitan can stay fresher for a longer time than meat. Tofu can last even longer if properly stored, meaning potentially fewer grocery shopping expeditions — an advantage if you’re careless and such trips entail serious schlepping on Port Authority buses.

So if you’re looking for something new and delicious, look past the pale blob and consider tofu.