Editorial: No commitment, no condom? Not likely.

By Staff Editorial

‘Friends with benefits’ is a popular relationship status on a college campus. It… ‘Friends with benefits’ is a popular relationship status on a college campus. It offers companionship and sexual favors without the monetary cost, time or commitment of a monogamous relationship. A college environment offers a plethora of potential candidates, so being tied down in a relationship can seem unappealing.

A CNN article warned that these non-romantic hook ups can lead to higher transmission of sexually transmitted diseases, suggesting that those in uncommitted relationships are likely to have several partners at the same time. According to the article, those in romantic relationships were more likely to be monogamous, rendering them less likely to contract an STD. However, a study quoted in the article found that 17 percent of women and 8 percent of men said their partners had cheated on them. Even in a committed relationship, you can never be too careful when it comes to sexual health.

Those in a monogamous relationship, aware and trusting of their partner’s sexual history, might be more lax about protection, increasing their likelihood of STDs if their partner was unfaithful — making those in an exclusive relationship just as, if not more likely, to contract an STD.

We’re hoping students will take this as a reminder that whether you’re “friends with benefits” or practically married, protection in a college environment full of temptations is key.