The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

Notes From an Average Girl | Searching for satisfaction

Notes from an Average Girl is a biweekly, relatable blog about navigating college life.
Annika Esseku | Senior Staff Illustrator

Picture a balloon that was just blown up with normal air instead of helium. Then, before it gets tied, picture letting it go. It shoots up in the air, making a squeal sound before parachuting to the ground. Then, picture my face on that balloon, because that is how I feel.

I guess instead of that long analogy, I could just say I feel deflated. I feel uninspired and unmotivated. There’s a shelf in my room that fell last weekend, and I still have not rehung it. My dirty laundry is piled to the sky. I have a six-page paper due tonight, and I have not started it. It’s been weeks since I picked up a book. 

I tell myself I’m just lazy and that I should get a grip. Then, I remember that I didn’t feel like this a few months ago. Last semester, I mapped out my assignments every week and handed them in ahead of time. I did my laundry every Sunday and made my bed every morning. 

I tell myself it’s just the sophomore slump and I’ll get over it. Then, I think about how much I hate my classes. Last semester, they felt new. This semester, I’m learning the same things over again. I find myself resisting the urge to roll my eyes at professors because they’ve just repeated something I heard three other professors say. I walk into a classroom in the Cathedral for an hour and 15 minutes and then walk around the corner to a mirrored classroom for another hour and 15 minutes. Then I come out and do a lap around the circular hallway because everything looks the same, and I’ve lost my sense of direction.

I feel as if I’m not progressing. I feel static. Last semester, I shot into the air squealing, and now I’m parachuting to the ground.

This is not a new feeling for me. In my first blog, I wrote about my struggle to pick a major and searched for comfort in a decision — which I found, briefly. I declared a major in media and professional communications and a minor in creative writing. I decided I wanted a career in journalism, and I finally took a deep breath. That deep breath only lasted a year and a half. 

Today, I swapped my usual coffee order for a new flavor only for it to be so gross I had to throw it in the trash. If I can’t even stick to a coffee order, how am I supposed to decide on a career path this early in my life?

As I doubt my decisions, I wonder if I’ll ever feel satisfied. Will I ever stop searching for answers and then get bored when I find them? Will I be a balloon inflated and deflated over and over again?

I don’t want to be relentlessly unsatisfied. I don’t want to have career commitment issues. I just want to have it all figured out. When I was a balloon shooting into the air, I felt relieved. Now that I’m parachuting to the ground, I’m scared. 

All I can do is hope I’ll reinflate, and that this time, I’ll tie the knot to hold the air in.

Madeline Milchman, Senior Staff Writer