Manafest highlights the Christian side of rap music

By Liz Keeney

Manafest

Peterseon Events Center

May 7 and 8, 7 p.m.

Peterseon Events Center

May 7 and 8, 7 p.m.

Manafest doesn’t like to think of himself as a Christian rapper, despite the fact that the industry has given him that label.

For Manafest, born Chris Greenwood, the label “Christian rapper” can sometimes be a hindrance. He has said his goal is to make good music but not to compromise his values. His goal isn’t to convert atheists; it’s to put on a good show. His website calls him a “man on a mission” to sell as many records, put on as many shows —including one in Pittsburgh May 7 and one May 8 —and make as much of that “good music” as possible.

Greenwood, who spent most of his childhood honing his skateboarding skills in his hometown of Ontario, didn’t start writing lyrics until the age of 18.

He said that his childhood is a big inspiration for him. On his new album The Chase, one of his favorite songs “Plan B” is about his experiences skateboarding and hanging out with friends as a teenager. The term comes from an expression he and his friends used to use and is now a mantra for Greenwood.

Another song “Everytime You Run” tells a story of second chances and the choices you have to make in the aftermath.

“I want my songs to encourage people. My songs come with a resolution. I don’t force my views on anyone either, I ask them to make up their own minds. And if a song like, ‘Everytime You Run’ helps one person through a dark time in their life, then I feel like I’m doing something positive with my music and my life,” he said.

Greenwood admitted that he didn’t initially plan on being a role model. He got into rapping for the love of music, but now that he sees the impact his message carries, he is willing to fill that position. With every new album, he gets more personal; the idea is to help prevent people from making the same mistakes he has.

“I never set out to be a role model, but now I do some motivational speaking. And the kids who come to see me seem to find meaning in my songs. That really means a lot to me. It keeps me going,” Greenwood said on his website.

He credits his fans for his success, saying that it was their devotion that led him to become the musician he is today.

“These kids somehow found my music, and they just ran with it. They liked what they heard, and they told their friends. It really was an ‘organic buzz’ that got me to where I am now,” he said.

His fourth full-length album, The Chase is his most personal to date. More aggressive than his previous releases and produced by Adam Messinger (Chris Brown and Justin Bieber) The Chase has a more rock-infused and “sonically evolved” sound. Though he doesn’t shy away from the classic hip-hop style that earned him a Juno nomination (the Canadian version of a Grammy), Greenwood admits to wanting to try something new, citing influences such as P.O.D., Lupe Fiasco, Papa Roach and Eminem.

After the release of his second album Glory, Greenwood said he stopped caring what people thought of his music. The sound, which was lighter fare than his first release Epiphany, lost him some of his more hardcore fans.

“You know what? No, I don’t worry about what some people might think,” he said.

For the past six years, Greenwood has been traveling across three continents to perform, and while the trials of the road can sometimes be hard, he plans on continuing to tour. His aim was to perform 1,000 shows, and now that he has achieved that goal, he wants to just keep going. His next objective is to sell 100,000 records.