Madonna tracks receive a jolt of gleeful life

By Kieran Layton

Glee: The Power of Madonna

“Glee” Cast

ColumbiaGlee: The Power of Madonna

“Glee” Cast

Columbia

Rocks Like: Madonna meets Broadway

Grade: A

Given the immense popularity of “Glee,” it was only a matter of time before one of the most iconic pop artists in music history saw her song catalog interpreted by the plucky teenagers on the show.

And now, in conjunction with the Madonna-themed episode of the show  — airing on Tuesday — “The Power of Madonna” arrives. Needless to say, it will please fans of the show and the Queen of Pop.

The danger of “Glee” is the constant tightrope walk between heartfelt or powerful renditions of popular songs and letting the music enter “Kidz Bop” territory. Thankfully, the show is getting better with avoiding the latter scenario, and the Madonna tracks are proof of that.

“Like a Prayer” is beautifully arranged and terrifically sung — the dramatic overtones in the song are fitting for the cast to highlight and emphasize.

“Express Yourself” is fun and bouncy, and it’s yet another example of how great a star singer Lea Michele has turned out to be.

Sue’s version of “Vogue” is hilarious, especially with the modified spoken-word interlude. “4 Minutes” — an odd choice to include, or so I thought — lets Kurt and Mercedes get their divas on to full effect.

And of course, there is a signature mash-up between “Borderline” and “Open Your Heart” that is short but sweet.

“Glee” seems like it is only getting better and more popular with each episode, and this special tribute to Madonna only helps its cause.