SDS chooses new leaders, discusses recent controversy at meeting

By Richard Rosengarten

Thirteen members of Students for a Democratic Society met last night after a week of… Thirteen members of Students for a Democratic Society met last night after a week of controversy about a conference and the organization of the group.

After controversy surrounding a conference the group had planned — the Pittsburgh Freedom School — SDS’s faculty adviser stepped down, and the group moved its conference off campus, instead of holding it at the William Pitt Union as originally planned.

University administrators expressed concern about the event after PittBriefly published articles that raised questions about the content of the events SDS had planned, which included nonviolent protesting tactics.

At last night’s meeting, the group discussed its search for a new adviser and its opinions on the Pittsburgh Freedom School event held last weekend, as well as grievances and future programs. Members voiced positive reactions to last weekend’s event, hoping for future events to attract a greater diversity in race and gender.

SDS member Jordan Romanus said Kenyon Bonner, director of Student Life, was “lenient” about the group’s current lack of adviser, saying it has time to find a new one. Members plan on asking faculty members to adopt the position this week.

The group, which tries to remain non-hierarchical, also chose managerial roles after reaching a consensus to do so. Members played a rock-paper-scissors game to decide who will sign up for the roles of president, vice president and business manager — the roles required to be certified as a student group by the Student Organization Resource Center.

It was the organization’s penultimate meeting this year.