Jason Castro: Still not a winner

By Kieran Layton

Jason Castro

Jason Castro

Atlantic Records

Rocks like: Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson… Jason Castro

Jason Castro

Atlantic Records

Rocks like: Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson minus the beach

Grade: C+

It seems like every other week you can look at the new release section on iTunes and see another “American Idol” contestant — someone who didn’t win — trying to make a splash in an already-crowded market, typically with limited success.

Jason Castro’s self-titled debut pretty much fits the mold. After not hearing from him for almost two years, he finally drops an album of mediocre folk jams that prompt the listener to wonder what the singer was trying to accomplish by setting the bar so low. Castro might rock the dreadlocks better than most people (especially current “Idol” contestant Crystal Bowersox), but that doesn’t keep you from pining for the music of more seasoned (and talented) artists like Jason Mraz.

Lead single “Let’s Just Fall in Love Again” is a cutesy track that sounds like it would be most appropriate in an Apple commercial — take that as you will. “This Heart of Mine” is unnervingly similar in sound and style, but it’s no where near as catchy.

On “That’s What I’m Here For,” Castro lets his voice quiver and croon in the manner that led to his fourth place finish on “Idol,” but the lyrics are too cheesy to get past. Vague tracks about vague lovers are so Kelly Clarkson circa 2006 — didn’t Castro get the memo?

The cover of Jeff Buckley’s “Hallelujah,” a carry over from his “Idol” success, is admirable, though the song itself is becoming greatly overdone. It seems like every boy with a guitar and a recording contract has done some version of the song, and this needs to stop.

“Love Uncompromised” is a serious misstep — boring, with a chorus that comes far too close to sounding like the 3 Doors Down track “When I’m Gone” for comfort.

Through all the forgettable midtempo stuff, however, a true gem arises that reminds the listener of how much potential Castro has. “You Can Always Come Home” is a minimalist ballad that is extremely well-written and heartbreakingly beautiful, featuring vocals from Serena Ryder, and it’s the only song that will make it onto regular rotation on my iPod.

Take my advice, Jason — stop trying to be Jason Mraz and embrace your dreadlocks and your own talent as songwriter and musician.