State lobbying trip ends with bus malfunction

By Carla Trinca-Conley

Pitt Day in Harrisburg ended last night with students stranded for two hours at a rest stop… Pitt Day in Harrisburg ended last night with students stranded for two hours at a rest stop on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

After students and alumni spent the day at the Capitol, they boarded two buses traveling back to Pitt.

The lead bus suffered mechanical errors, and drove on the turnpike at a top speed of 40 miles per hour, said Charlie Shull, student government board president. The official reason for the bus’ malfunction was unknown, Shull said.

The bus stopped at the Sideling Hill Service Plaza, located 15 miles east of Breezewood and an hour and a half from Pitt at about 7:15 p.m. and was expected to arrive in Pittsburgh at 11:30 p.m. at the earliest.

The first bus was filled with alumni who needed to return to Pitt in time to transfer transportation and continue to their final destinations.

Because of time constraints, the alumni had to board the second, properly working bus.

Originally, the bus driver suggested students could sit on the floor, however the suggestion was revoked because of safety concerns, Shull said.

Nicole Urti, a staff assistant at the governmental relations office, asked students on the second bus to allow alumni to take their seats.

Rachel Feinstein, a junior at Pitt and president of Pitt College Republicans, said Urti “was very friendly and very open.”

Feinstein, who gave up her seat on the bus, said the rest stop where students waited for the second bus was “really nice.” It had a Starbucks, Popeyes and Burger King.

Shull said he and about 20 to 25 students, including several Board members, the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly President Dan Jimenez and Assistant Vice Chancellor of Alumni Relations Jeff Gleim had to wait at the rest stop.

Shull, Jimenez, and Gleim treated the students to dinner as they waited.

The three men split the costs of the students’ meals. Gleim said, “It’s a partnership.”

Gleim said the delay caused by the mechanical problems “wasn’t that bad.”

“You make the best of it,” Gleim said. “It was unfortunate because we had such a great day at the Capitol.”

It’s just one of those “flukey” things you walk away from with a story, Gleim said.

John Hasley, Governmental Relations Committee member, said Pitt Day in Harrisburg was “a lot of fun.”

Hasley visited 11 offices but only spoke with three legislators because many were busy.

Hasley said he spoke with Sen. Wayne Fontana (D-42nd), Rep. Scott Petri (R-178th), and Rep. Kenyatta Johnson (D-186th) with his group.

The legislators were “extremely positive about Pitt,” Hasley said. Hasley said he focused on telling legislators about Pitt’s identity and “the big changes that are happening.”

As the amount of students applying for Pitt increases, so does the caliber of the accepted students who contribute to the economy and commonwealth, Hasley said.

“As a student, I thought it was my duty to fight for Pitt and get it the funding it deserves,” he said.

Hasley watched as the House of Representatives passed the state appropriations bill in a vote yesterday which Hasley thought “was pretty cool.”

Everyone was helpful if there were any problems navigating through the building, said Hasley.

Feinstein thought speaking with staff members yesterday was a good experience.

Feinstein said she had a good connection with legislators when explaining her views about the importance of funding higher education.

“I really do care about Pitt as a school,” Feinstein said.

The opportunity to attend Pitt would not be an option without state funding, said Feinstein.

Nila Devanath, a Pitt senior, said yesterday was “a fantastic experience.”

Devanath also lobbies for the United States Student Association and was one of the 19 group leaders who attended because of her lobbying experience on the federal level.

Devanath felt this year was very successful and more organized than last year because students received packets and lists of people to go see.

Jimenez, a neuroscience graduate student, met with three chiefs of staff yesterday.

Jimenez said he discussed graduate students’ roles as teaching assistants and the benefits of appropriations as money for research with the legislators.

Shull said that overall, “the day went really well” and was “significantly better than last year.”