‘Knowledge Machine’ is more that just static

By Alison Smyth

Static of the Gods

Knowledge Machine

Released: March… Static of the Gods

Knowledge Machine

Released: March 23

Rating: C+

Label: delVerano Records

Rocks like: The Duke Spirit meets Silversun Pickups

Static of the Gods’ first record, Knowledge Machine, might be more in touch with nature than most bands.

The band’s songs sound like your regular rock fare, but organic influences might surprise the listener. The music might be more balanced than the average garage band with its female singer and influences such as “sun, moon, stars, land, sea” listed on the band’s MySpace page.

Whether Static of the Gods finds balance in the great outdoors or in the symmetrical nature of the three-piece, the sounds fit well either way.

Songs like “Rest Your Head” fill every space with crashing drums and reverberating guitar like Silversun Pickups. Whereas Silversun Pickups would add a raspy, screaming vocal, Static of the Gods takes a different approach.

Jen Johnson’s vocals take the would-be dark rock song and create a yin-yang sound. Her voice allows for contrast to the roughness of the instruments without sounding too sweet.

Static of the Gods perfects the soft and strong with “Meteor Flights.” Johnson’s slight soprano pushes from the low rumbling guitar and bass notes forming a clever dance.

Knowledge Machine lives up the band’s name: Static-like reverbs, cosmic influences and a natural balance of sound.