‘Aw Here it Goes’: Kenan Thompson to speak at Pitt

This calls for a round of orange soda — Kenan Thompson is coming to Pitt. 

“Saturday Night Live” star Kenan Thompson will speak on April 13 in the William Pitt Union Assembly room at 8:30 p.m., according to a Pitt Program Council release. Free tickets — with a maximum of two per person — will be available on March 30 in the PPC Ticket Office on the ground floor of the WPU. Doors open at 8 p.m..

Pitt students welcomed Thompson’s antics into their homes on Nickelodeon’s “All That” in the ‘90s. Others remember Thompson from his time on “Kenan and Kel,” “The Mighty Ducks” movies and “Good Burger.” His teenage wisecracks and constantfueds with costar Kel Mitchell, usually over the topic of orange soda, gave fans a taste for his comedy.   Since 2003, Thompson has become a prominent member of the “Saturday Night Live” cast. He is the longest-serving black cast member and has performed roughly 108 celebrity impressions on the show, the release said.

Thompson’s appearance will be more stand-up comedy than a lecture, because comedy is his expertise, according to PPC’s lecture director Lindsy Steinberger. 

“We believe that having Thompson come is entertaining for our students and also inspirational to see someone we grew up with have an illustrious comedy career,” Steinberger said. 

Steinberger said PPC is not able to disclose the names of other speakers who PPC considered because “some can still be a possibility for a future lecture.”

According to the release, Thompson’s availability and pricing best fit the kind of show PPC sought to produce. 

“The availability and pricing of the lecturers are given to us by their respective agents, and, due to contract stipulations, we are not at liberty to disclose the price that we paid for Kenan Thompson to speak at Pitt,” said Jon Lehan, executive board director of PPC.

Steinberger said she expects the lecture to sell out because of the connection Pitt students have made with Thompson throughout their childhoods. 

This will also be the first year that the winner of PPC’s Comedy Competition, which PPC will hold on March 5, will open for a lecturer. 

Shawn Cassidy, PPC’s arts and film director, expects 12 people to participate in the competition.

Steinberger said other than opportunity for Pitt students to see Thompson, the event also provides a chance to “support a Pitt student’s comedy aspirations by offering them the chance to open for Thompson.”