‘The Book of Eli’ puts a new spin on the apocalypse

By Liz Keeney

Download the original attachment

“The Book of Eli”

Starring: Denzel Washington, Gary… Download the original attachment

“The Book of Eli”

Starring: Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis

Directors: Albert Hughes, Allen Hughes

Studio: Warner Bros.

Grade: B+

Over the past few years, moviegoers have sat through a seemingly endless barrage of films dealing with the apocalypse. There’s been the good (“The Road”), the mediocre (“I Am Legend”) and the Cusack (“2012”). Apparently in these trying economic times, the best way to cheer up is by watching a movie about the world ending.

The latest addition to the apocalyptic genre is “The Book of Eli,” and while it does not reach the pinnacle of apocalypse films, it’s definitely worth the trip to the theater.

Directed by Albert and Allen Hughes, whose previous work includes “Menace II Society” and “From Hell,” “The Book of Eli” is done in their typical gritty, violent style. However — unlike some of their other films — the Hughes brothers don’t sacrifice substance for gore, and they take an interesting angle on the end-of-days concept.

Instead of focusing on immediate survival and recovery — which is the norm for most movies in the genre — “The Book of Eli” deals with rebuilding and developing society.

Picking up 30 years after “the war burnt a hole in the sky,” the film follows Eli (Denzel Washington) as he travels west, all the while telling himself not to “stray from the path” even when facing the scenes of degradation around him. He has in his possession the last copy of the Bible, something Gary Oldman’s character, the aptly named Carnegie, desperately wants.

Eli is joined by Solara (Mila Kunis), Carnegie’s step-daughter, and the bulk of the film follows their journey on the run from Carnegie.

While Washington gives a good performance as Eli, it is Oldman who stands out. It’s refreshing to see him in something other than “Harry Potter” or “Batman,” and he plays thevillain well.

At first the plot seems deceivingly simple. However, writer Gary Whitta interestingly uses Eli’s travels as a metaphor for societal growth.

As he makes his way west, Eli also travels through different levels of society. He first meets a single man struggling to survive, then small raiding bands praying on the weak followed by emerging communities with growing cultural customs, such as trade, education and religion. While many trailers for the film depict “The Book of Eli” as an action movie in the vein of “Mad Max,” the former has more substance, and Eli plays a role closer to that of prophet than vigilante.

The action sequences are impressive — even excessively violent at times — but it is the story that will keep viewers interested. The Hughes brothers use the characters and scenery to enhance the story, not dominate it. Instead of letting flashy special effects run the show, the plot is what really drives the film.

On the whole, “The Book of Eli” is an all-around good film and will satisfy action fans and film critics alike.