Lady Gaga’s new album rocks and roars

By Bethie Girmai

Lady Gaga

The Fame Monster

Interscope Records

Rocks like: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera,… Lady Gaga

The Fame Monster

Interscope Records

Rocks like: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Madonna and an acid trip

Grade: A-

Lady Gaga’s second album, The Fame Monster, will not disappoint her veteran fans.

The album only has eight songs, but Lady Gaga (Stefani Germanotta) more than makes up for it with plenty of personality and lots of sexually explicit innuendos.

The highlights on the CD include Gaga’s wildly popular first single “Bad Romance,” the token club track “So Happy I Could Die” and “Telephone,” Gaga’s collaboration with Beyoncé.

Fans can expect the electronica-inspired dance tracks that characterized The Fame but can also look forward to discovering other facets of Gaga’s talent.

For example, “Speechless,” the only ballad of the album, showcases not only the artist’s vocal range but her ability to relay emotion and her personal struggles into song. The ballad accomplishes this because Gaga wrote it as a plea to her father to undergo lifesaving heart surgery.

The Fame Monster succeeds in presenting Gaga’s fans with a more well-rounded Gaga. But lyrically, the album is lacking.

If you want a thought-provoking album, look elsewhere. If you look for the new anthem for your Saturday night, feel free to put on this album before you don your unitard and practice your suggestive dance moves in true Haus of Gaga fashion.