Football: Athletic department to give away free tickets to students for bowl game

By Adam Littman

It looked like the Meineke Car Care Bowl was going to be an unofficial away game for the Pitt… It looked like the Meineke Car Care Bowl was going to be an unofficial away game for the Pitt football team, as it had to play North Carolina in Charlotte, N.C., but Pitt’s athletic department is trying to make the atmosphere more Panther-friendly.

Any Pitt student who can get to Charlotte for the game — Dec. 26 at 4 p.m. — will get a free ticket to the game, Pitt assistant athletic director in marketing and promotions Chris Ferris said.

“I hope our students do what they’ve done all year and come out and support the team,” Ferris said.

To get a ticket, students have to either stop by the ticket office in the lobby of the Petersen Events Center or call the ticket office to reserve a ticket. Then, all they have to do is get to Charlotte, give their name and show their Pitt ID card at the will call office to pick up their ticket. The last day to make a reservation is Dec. 23.

Students can also go to www.pittsburghpanthers.com, click on “Bowl Central” and reserve a ticket online. The last day students can reserve a ticket on the website is Dec. 25.

Ferris said that while the offer is only good for Pitt students, if someone wanted to take a non-Pitt student with them, they can request two seats next to each other. The Pitt student would have to pay for one of the tickets.

He also said the athletic department plans to accommodate all students who show up.

“We’re not going to limit a student allotment,” Ferris said.