SafeRider still a priority for SGB

By Estelle Tran

Nila Devanath will continue her fight to make Oakland’s streets safer by trying to make… Nila Devanath will continue her fight to make Oakland’s streets safer by trying to make SafeRider more efficient.

At the SGB meeting last night, the board member said she’s working with Mary Koch Ruiz, the coordinator of Pitt’s Office of Sexual Assault Services, to make low-cost upgrades to the evening-to-early-morning transportation service.

The SafeRider system operates with three shuttles that take students from their desired pick-up location to their destination, as long as they’re within a certain boundary.

Devanath said she is trying to acquire statistics on how many SafeRider calls come from students who want to get from lower campus to upper campus.

She said she would like to dedicate one shuttle to an express route running from lower campus to upper campus — like a 10A shuttle with an extended route — if it’s cost-effective.

Nicholas Trainer, the governmental relations chair, reminded students that they can submit voter registration forms to the SGB office in the William Pitt Union.

He plans to turning them in on Oct. 5.

The governmental relations committee also announced that it has begun contacting local politicians to attend a forum so that students can educate themselves on the candidates’ views.

SGB notes:

— The Panther Triathlon Club requested $3,343.96 to attend a race.

— The board approved the allocations committee’s recommended amount of $1,910.25.

— The board granted the Biomedical Engineering Society $1,140 to attend a conference.