Russian President Medvedev speaks at Cathedral

By Estelle Tran

When Russian president Dmitry Medvedev took the podium in the Cathedral of Learning’s commons… When Russian president Dmitry Medvedev took the podium in the Cathedral of Learning’s commons room this evening, he harked back to another monumental Russian visit to Pitt.

On this day 50 years ago, Nikita Khrushchev, the first leader of the Soviet Union to travel to the United States, visited the Cathedral’s nationality rooms.

“I hope you won’t ask me the same questions you asked Nikita,” Medvedev said through a translator. “Our countries have evolved significantly since then.”

He joked that he didn’t share Khrushchev’s political views and, as a former professor, is receptive to questions.

The University and Center for Russia and East European Studies hosted Medvedev in an invitation-only forum. Medvedev answered questions from audience members for about an hour on topics ranging from the missile defense system to his relationship with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

Students mostly asked questions in Russian and Medvedev spoke in Russian. The audience of more than 100 had the option to listen to an English translation with headphones.

However, they might have heard the replies before.

Medvedev said a few times that he’s answered questions the same at other meetings and interviews.

“I have this feeling that I am sitting in this meeting with Barack Obama,” he said. “I answered this [about the missile defense system] question yesterday for about a half an hour.”

He reiterated known opinions about sanctions on Iran’s nuclear energy program.

“Iran has a right to peaceful use of nuclear energy,” he said.

Medvedev added that putting a sanction on a country is last resort, but “sometimes it’s a must.”

Medvedev, who was elected last year, said that he’s considering running for re-election in 2012. Russian presidents are constitutionally barred from running for president for three consecutive terms. Putin, who served two terms before Medvedev, will be eligible to run against him at the end of this term.

“Now if it works out well and the people trust me, why not run?” Medvedev said.

The president of Pitt’s Russian Club asked Medvedev to help bring more Russian theater and culture to Pittsburgh.

Medvedev replied that he’s no miracle worker, but he’d use his influence to get someone to visit Pitt.