Arctic Monkey’s latest album no ‘Humbug’

By Alison Smyth

Arctic Monkeys

Humbug

Label: Domino Recordings

Rocks Like: Traditional Arctic Monkeys meets… Arctic Monkeys

Humbug

Label: Domino Recordings

Rocks Like: Traditional Arctic Monkeys meets British Queens of the Stone Age

Grade: A-

Sometimes musical hunches prove to be right.

After one cold listen to Arctic Monkeys’ Humbug, it becomes abundantly clear which band was the primary influence for the record.

It seems an unlikely pairing, but, like most musical collaborations, the Arctic Monkeys as produced by Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age holds true as a surprising delight.

The Arctic Monkeys usually represent all that Brit-pop has to offer. That means quirky anecdotes, peppy, upbeat rhythms and catchy tunes. But Humbug is far from what you’d call perky pop. Instead, the Queens of the Stone Age’s influences bring the band into darker, more moody tones.

Each track features the heavy guitar, periodic electric solos and even the vocal quality that Queens of the Stone Age has so often utilized. Humbug is still leagues away from the sometimes-screaming, reverberating style of Era Vulgaris. But the stylistic lines blur on tracks like “Potion Approaching,” where Josh Homme actually sings the backing vocals, or in whisper-sung beginnings like “Dangerous Animals.”

This is Arctic Monkeys covers Queens of the Stone Age-style. The songs are colored by the electric sounds from the darker side of the rock spectrum. The Brits aren’t throwing away their dancing shoes just yet, but they are starting to mimic their older brother.

The moodier version of Arctic Monkeys could scare away some of the band’s peppy fans, but they’ll certainly be replaced by fans of the Queens’ brand of rock.

The Arctic Monkeys’ quirk is altered, the catchiness is veiled, but the music is no less satisfying.

There is no question why this album is great. Not to quote Hannah Montana, but really, it’s the best of both worlds.