Smyth: Catch up on your ‘True Blood,’ enjoy responsibly

By Alison Smyth

Do you like vampires, but long for something edgier than “Twilight”? Robert Pattinson’s… Do you like vampires, but long for something edgier than “Twilight”? Robert Pattinson’s dreaminess and Kristen Stewart’s lack of emotion doesn’t do it for you?

Then try some “True Blood” — the show, not the artificial blood drink from the HBO series’ universe.

With a new season under way, “True Blood” will undoubtedly continue to dish out vampire lore at its best, which means the same twist of romance, mystery and horror that made its first year golden.

Still, it might be hard to keep up if not properly informed.

The action starts where it ended last year with the discovery of a body.

A season one mainstay, the slaying of this person will reveal secret goings on in Bon Temps that were hinted at throughout the first season.

Solving the mystery of the death will be left to telepathic barmaid Sookie Stackhouse. A Southern-fried Nancy Drew, she goes undercover with a little help from a certain fanged friend in a trench coat, keeping her in a host of strange and dangerous situations.

Sookie is the main character of “True Blood” and of author Charlaine Harris’ “Sookie Stackhouse” series, on which the show is based. “True Blood’s” second season comes from Harris’ second novel, “Living Dead in Dallas.”

The heroine’s relationship with Vampire Bill will become a bit rocky as a love triangle develops between the two and vampire bar Fangtasia owner, Eric. Vampire politics and supernatural duties will affect the couple, and newborn vampire Jessica threatens their relationship.

Sookie’s involvement with Bill and a promise to work for Eric last season will come into play, and Sookie’s actions send her, Bill and Jessica to Dallas to find a missing vampire.

Mysterious Maryann helps Tara become a free spirit, and fosters her relationship with housemate Eggs, while stirring up the town with her energies. Maryann’s true identity will eventually be revealed and her strange actions explained.

Jason and his connection to the Fellowship of the Sun Church will highlight the innerworkings of the organization. The parishioners combat the undead with more than self-righteous sermons and big hair.

The plot as it involves Sookie, Bill and Eric will remain consistent with “Living Dead in Dallas” — Jessica’s character is the exception. While Tara, Sam and Jason are the novel’s minor characters whose backgrounds have been embellished for the show, Jessica is the invention of “True Blood” writers. The paths of these characters diverged from the books since episode one. Even with the novel for framework, parts of this season will surprise even seasoned Harris fans.

Fan sites can help both “True Blood” novices and diehards navigate the tricky plotlines and multilayered back-stories that are crucial to understanding the show.

“Blood Work” is New Yorker Brian Juergens’ take on the show. Juergens knows his stuff, has an affinity for horror and shares his passion for gore on his Web site, CampBlood.org.

Each week, Juergens films a short video blog that discusses everything from Sookie’s wardrobe and Bill’s hair to speculative spoilers and weekly ratings, all of which correspond to that week’s episode.

He invites a special guest to watch and evaluate with him, then partake in an episode-themed skit.

The highlights of last season include: Juergens staking his boyfriend Andy in a lawn chair like Eddie the Vampire, sobbing over an entire pecan pie like the bereaved Sookie while speculating if Anna Paquin has a gluten allergy, and a visit from Joey the Vampire, who gossips about his tryst with “Andy,” a pet name for one Andrew Jackson.

The blog should be part of any “True Blood” fan’s blood fix. It’s worth watching for Brian Juergens’ Bill impressions alone. The collective entries happen to be downright hilarious, informative and interesting. “Blood Work” will reprise its episode discussion and dissection for season two.

New viewers or those who need a refresher can check out HBO.com’s short replay posts of each episode. A special aired in late May with the show’s creator, Alan Ball, giving a play-by-play of the entire first season in 30 minutes. The special is still available on HBO’s MySpace video page for free.

Taking on the series from all sides might be your best course of action. Read the first novel, “Dead Until Dark,” and watch the first season of the show.

Next, read “Living Dead in Dallas.” Although this might give away some of the secrets of the current season, Ball’s changes will keep the show fresh. Knowledge of the novel will help viewers keep track of Sookie even as Ball devotes more attention to the book’s minor characters, who translate into the show’s major players.

For those who like the show — or tuned in just to see Ryan Kwanten and Alexander Skarsgard’s biceps — read the novels. The Sookieverse is years down the line, with a story that continues all the way through “Dead and Gone,” the ninth book in the series.

For now, make sure to tune in every Sunday for season two of the show and savor every bloody corpse, every heart-wrenching love scene and every bit of sexual tension generated by the insanely attractive cast.

Who knew being undead could be so much fun?