‘Sheriff’ retires after 50 years

By Lori Stover

His co-workers call him “the sheriff” because of his dedication to the job and distaste for… His co-workers call him “the sheriff” because of his dedication to the job and distaste for complaining.

“He’s on top of the game, the head honcho,” his co-worker Dan Guthrie said.

But after 50 years of working as a custodian at Pitt, “Sheriff” Johnny Bowden has decided to retire.

At the age of 83, Bowden said he still has plenty of energy, but he thought he might as well give retirement a try.

“Right now, I feel like I could keep on working, but I have to go sooner or later,” he said. “I might get out there and find out what I’ve been missing. I might find out laying around is all right.”

Before retirement, Bowden didn’t lay around much at all, his co-workers said.

Co-worker Joseph Mubanga said Bowden would never complain about being sick when ill and would keep working instead. By doing this, Bowden inspired the younger workers to focus on getting the job done, Mubanga said.

Guthrie said despite his strong work ethic, Bowden would never bother or criticize anyone.

“He was as easy-going as anybody could be,” Guthrie said. “Even on a bad day, he’d make you laugh.”

Frank Connors, who has worked with Bowden for 12 years, said that other than some lighthearted joking, Bowden always “did what he had to do.”

Bowden said he likes to work and keep busy, no matter the job.

His daughter, Leslie Kisner, said Bowden keeps himself active even outside of work.

When he has free time, Bowden likes to take long walks, visit his friends and visit different places around Pittsburgh. He goes to PPG Place in the winter to watch families ice skate, Kisner said, and he likes to go shopping in the Strip District.

“He’s coming to a new frontier, a new focus,” she said. “I’m encouraging him to keep on the move.”

Only Bowden’s avoidance of technology seems to reveal his age.

Bowden refuses to get a cell phone and listens to the radio instead of watching television, which he says never has anything worthwhile, Kisner said.

Bowden started working at Pitt in 1959. He began working in Scaife Hall in the medical division before transferring to the physical plant, which is now called Facilities Management.

Bowden later worked in Litchfield Towers and then the Cathedral of Learning.

In the Cathedral, he said he rarely had to deal with messy students, but when he worked in the Towers, he had to deal with students filling sinks with shaving cream, pulling the fire alarm or performing other pranks.

He said he has learned about “every nook and cranny in the Cathedral,” Connors said.

In general, Bowden said he has enjoyed his time working at the University. He said working at Pitt has brought him many opportunities, such as taking classes for free.

Last Thursday, his co-workers and supervisors threw him a retirement party to acknowledge his years of service.

“Not everyone gets 50 years,” Connors said.