Chakan: Remembering 4 years of Pitt sports memories

By Zack Chakan

It’s impossible to count the myriad milestones captured in four years of college sports. You… It’s impossible to count the myriad milestones captured in four years of college sports. You could try, but the sheer number escapes you.

Despite rabidly following Pitt sports over the course of eight (or more) semesters, the statistics don’t stand out. For instance, a decade from now, you won’t remember that LeSean McCoy rushed for 2,816 yards in his too-short Panther career. Or the number of points Sam Young tallied in Pitt’s memorable sprint to the Big East tournament title in 2008 — it was 80, by the way.

Instead, just like that first frat party you attended, that economics test you failed because none of it made sense or the Oakland bar you stampeded when you turned 21, there were irreplaceable and unforgettable Pitt (and professional) sporting moments you can tell your kids when they proclaim as a high school junior that they want to attend Penn State.

From the first week you seniors stepped into the Cathedral for the first time until a floater in the paint last month sent thousands of students to drown their sorrows in Yuenglings or gin-and-tonics, the snapshots framed in our brains are endless.

-Pitt entered the 2005 football season following its first BCS game appearance and just hired Dave Wannstedt to replace Walt Harris at the helm. Notre Dame was riding high after luring Charlie Weis to South Bend.

I won’t discuss what happened during that game. In fact, I don’t remember it actually taking place. But ESPN’s College Gameday crew showed up for the only time during the four-year tenure. And who can forget, during the weekly picks, when Lee Corso threw Roc’s mask over his head in support of the Panthers. That ended up more memorable than the final score.

-The 2005 Steelers’ postseason provided some heart-attack situations.’ Jerome Bettis falling as his fumbled ball popped into the air, then Ben Roethlisberger nipping Nick Harper’s ankle on the recovery.

Then, Willie Parker leaping to the end zone in Super Bowl XL. And Antwaan Randle El finding Hines Ward for the title-clinching touchdown.

We all know how we handled that outcome. That poor, poor Dodge Neon.

-Mario Lemieux skating off the ice one last time in December of 2005, effectively passing his stick and scoring touch to a young 18-year-old named Sidney Crosby.

-Darrelle Revis caught a punt and raced across the field, with West Virginia players chasing him. Wide receiver Derek Kinder, lying in wait, absolutely plowed a Mountaineer special teamer, who then knocked out another teammate.

The pulverizing block opened 40 free yards for Revis, who tip-toed down the sidelines and avoided three tacklers before a final spin-move landed the future New York Jet in the end zone.

-The Pitt women’s basketball team earning its first NCAA Tournament bid and victory ‘- which occurred right here at the Petersen Events Center. Agnus Berenato’s bunch hasn’t come back down since.

-A score that will forever live in infamy, 13-9. Thirteen to nine. The day that devastated an entire football program.

-Levance Fields stepping back and draining a contested 3-pointer against Duke for the greatest regular-season win in Pitt basketball history, right after Mike Cook went down with a college-ending knee injury.

Along with a Penguins’ shootout win over the Bruins and the Steelers beating the Rams, these three games on Dec. 20, 2007, were the best 21st birthday present a fan could ask for.

-When Ronald Ramon hoisted a 3-pointer as time expired against West Virginia a month and a half later, the Pete went from an anxious and silent arena to absolute pandemonium as it swished through the net.

-Pitt basketball’s second Big East tournament title came in early March. Cook and Fields’ reactions at the final gun symbolized the pain and success the injury-riddled Panthers went through to get to that moment.

-Petr Sykora’s goal in triple overtime of Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

-Conor Lee winning the field-goal battle at Notre Dame in four overtimes.

-Watching McCoy run the football, ever.

-Jamie Dixon’s Panthers grabbing the No. 1 overall ranking for the first time in program history, and doing it twice.

-Minutes after watching Pitt grad Larry Fitzgerald racing alone to for the potential game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII, Santonio Holmes pulled down an unbelievable catch with his toes firmly entrenched in bounds and in the end zone for Pittsburgh’s second Super Bowl in four years.

-Hasheem Thabeet howling in pain as DeJuan Blair Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-ed him to the floor.

-Fields, one last time, knocking down the huge clutch shot — a 3-pointer, of course — to discard Xavier and advancing Pitt past the Sweet 16 for the first time in this magical eight-year run.

There might have been more, but those were the moments that stuck with me. The Pirates weren’t so lucky, but perhaps the next four years will actually see some winning baseball for a change. And maybe the football team will finally get over the hump.

It’s been a great four years, and I’ve been lucky to witness as a fan and cover so many great sporting moments. I hope all you seniors enjoyed it, too.

Thanks to Mike, Pat, Jeff and everyone who’s been there along the way. Thank you LeSean McCoy, Sam Young, DeJuan Blair, Levance Fields and Shavonte Zellous. And thank you, Pitt. It’s been real.