Overtime police force returns, citations jump

By Lori Stover

The Impact Overtime Detail has returned to the streets of Oakland, and with it, a spike in… The Impact Overtime Detail has returned to the streets of Oakland, and with it, a spike in citations.

Pitt police chief Tim Delaney said that when Pitt went on winter break, police temporarily disbanded the squad because the cold weather and absence of students led to less trouble.

An increase in temperature also means an increase in small crimes, Delaney. On a warm night, partiers tend to ignore open container laws, step off their front porches and find themselves in trouble more often.’

The squad, which consists of both city and Pitt police, have been together again since March for patrol each Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, causing a jump in the number of citations.

When police formed the squad at the beginning of last semester, about five years after the previous squad disbanded, Delaney said he noticed an even greater jump in citations.

‘ ‘I believe it’s the most effective way of policing the area,’ he said. ‘Being on foot gives a stronger presence in the area.’

The squad aims to increase the police presence in Oakland and to make Oakland residents aware of the law so that the number of citations eventually drops off, he said.

‘Our goal isn’t to cite people, our goal is to stop the action,’ he said.

By walking through the area regularly instead of driving by at 20 miles per hour, police connect with the neighborhood, he said.

Delaney said he participated in the first squad in the late ’80s and at the time, he knew all of the local business owners, club bouncers and residents.

By participating in the squad, officers ‘get familiar with surroundings and open up a line of communication with the neighborhood,’ he said.

As a result, neighbors would learn to go out and find the officers when an incident occurs, and the police could more effectively keep the area safe, he said.

Also, because the squad consists of officers working overtime, it does not respond to emergency calls, which provides a constant presence on the streets of Oakland.

Delaney added that because many students come from areas outside of Pittsburgh that may have different ordinances, some don’t know the exact laws they must follow concerning drinking alcohol in public.

The squad operates on a volunteer basis, depending on seniority and overtime eligibility. The Pittsburgh police contribute three to four people, and Pitt police match their number, he said.