Acclaimed director talks activism

By Samantha Stahl

Many students will do the right thing and stop by David Lawrence Hall for director Spike Lee’s… Many students will do the right thing and stop by David Lawrence Hall for director Spike Lee’s lecture on Tuesday night.

The Black Action Society will host the event. Known for his socially controversial and critically acclaimed films like ‘Malcolm X,’ Lee examines race relations and political issues.

Jacquett Wade, the BAS adviser, explained why Lee is an ideal figure to appear at Pitt.

‘He is a real versatile individual — he’s an educator, an artist, an activist and actor,’ he said. ‘He covers a lot of areas and has knowledge about working with college students and the issues they face.’

Lee currently teaches film at New York University, giving him first-hand experience with students.

Wade feels Lee’s controversial nature will stimulate thought for those that attend.

‘He has a lot of different messages. It’s food for thought. You may not agree with what he says, but it makes you think, which is exactly what we do here in academia. He’s a perfect fit,’ he said.

Lee, whose career began with the film ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ has made it his mission to confront society’s issues head-on with his cinematic endeavors.

‘Through his art he has tackled issues people face. His work affords him the chance to find solutions. We can think about what he puts on the big screen and bring it to our own personal world,’ said Wade.

BAS asked Lee to talk about how to be an activist in a non-traditional way. Amanda Reed, the incoming vice president of BAS, expects Lee’s words will instill listeners with the enthusiasm to become activists themselves.

‘I’m hoping people will be inspired and more motivated to take action and less complacent and apathetic. People can learn to combine what their interests are with issues,’ she said.

‘This is not an opportunity that comes everyday — getting Spike Lee to come is a huge accomplishment for the organization and the University,’ said Reed. ‘I think no matter who you are you can benefit in some way from hearing him speak.’