Pitt grad student to race in Antarctica

By Richard Rosengarten

‘ ‘ ‘ It began with a New Year’s resolution in 2007. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Kat Belendiuk was going to… ‘ ‘ ‘ It began with a New Year’s resolution in 2007. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Kat Belendiuk was going to run a marathon. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Two years, two Marine Corps Marathons and countless miles of training later, she’s preparing for a 26.2-mile trek across the snow and ice covering, of all places, Antarctica. She leaves March 2. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I think it’s so cool that I’ll get to tell my grandkids that I ran a marathon in Antarctica,’ said Belendiuk, a 25-year-old Pitt graduate student. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Belendiuk, who’s working on her doctorate in clinical and developmental psychology, said she’s racing to raise money and awareness for the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, an organization that provides support for Marines who are injured or have disabilities.’ So far, people have donated more than $1,600 to the fund through her site, closing in on her goal of $2,500. Some of the largest contributors have been strangers. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Belendiuk is not a Marine, but she knows a few. Her stepfather, who served in Vietnam, was a major in the Marines. His mother is rumored to be the oldest living female Marine, and his father was awarded both the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart.’ Belendiuk’s stepbrother is a reservist in the Marines. Her boyfriend Chris, who is also racing in Antarctica, was deployed to Iraq three times, serving as a soldier in the Army. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You do not need to support our wars to support our troops,’ wrote Belendiuk on her personal Web site. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘People are entitled to feel however they feel,’ she said. ‘I don’t want their views to mask the importance of supporting the people who are fighting for us.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ It is fairly common for marathoners to use races to raise funds and awareness for causes, said Thom Gilligan, president of Marathon Tours and Travel, the company coordinating the race. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The hardest part, Belendiuk said, is choosing which organization to benefit. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘There are many great organizations, deserving organizations, so it’s tough to pick one,’ said Belendiuk. ‘I thought Antarctica would be a good speaking point.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ So did many others. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Demand for spots on the Antarctica Marathon is greater than for any other race coordinated by Marathon Tours and Travel, said Gilligan.’ Participants must sign up two years in advance to guarantee a position on the Antarctica Marathon. There are only a few hundred spots and they fill up quickly. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Preparing for the physical battle ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ At first glance, running in Antarctica will be oddly similar to running in Pittsburgh.’ The temperatures on King George Island, where the six-and-a-half-hour marathon will be held, are expected to range between 15 and 30 degrees, about the same as Pittsburgh’s projected temperatures.’ The marathon track leads runners to ascend Collins Glacier, which is similar in height to Negley Hill in Squirrel Hill. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Antarctica might actually be nicer than Pittsburgh at the time of the race,’ said Belendiuk. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ But that doesn’t mean the marathon won’t take a toll on her. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Belendiuk said the race would be brutal. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I don’t think there’s anything like this,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Marathon Tours and Travel’ advises racers to bring water bottles, appropriate gear and any ‘magic potion’ they might use for electrolyte replacement. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Belendiuk’s packing list includes Gortex trail shoes, leggings, a wind-and-water-proof Sugoi jacket, a hat and gloves. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ She has no magic potion, she said, but she does take salt tablets to help keep her electrolyte count up. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Every 15 minutes during the race she will take Gu, a carbohydrate, potassium and sodium supplement. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s like using gasoline in a car,’ said’ Belendiuk, a member of the Seven Continents Club, a group of people who hope to run marathons on all seven continents. ‘You just run out of energy, so as you run you want to kind of top off the tank, and that’s what Gu does.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The racers use Bellingshausen, the Russian science base on King George Island, as both the start and finish line. The figure-eight track takes runners past the science bases owned’ by’ Uruguay and Chile, looping around the Chinese base at the other end. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The researchers are usually excited about the marathons,’ said Gilligan. ‘They live a pretty mundane existence out there, counting the raindrops.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Since the race began in 1995, the Russian scientists have developed a reputation for enjoying the craziness of hosting the runners. Bringing the Russians gifts has become a custom. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The suggested gift is liquor of any kind. This year Oleg, the base commander, has requested a skimobile. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I hear they want vodka,’ said Belendiuk. ‘As a scientist I could sympathize with the importance of having scientists down there, so I’m in support of their endeavors.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ As part of the tours there will be educational seminars on environmental protection and preservation. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The race must leave zero impact,’ said Gilligan, who’s on a committee to make the Pittsburgh marathon environmentally-friendly. ‘The racers come back as better educated custodians.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Gilligan said that the actual running in Antarctica becomes secondary to the experience of being there. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s such a pristine landscape,’ he said. ‘It is such a profound and stilling atmosphere.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Belendiuk added, ‘This is not going to be a race-to-the-finish race, this is going to be something to really enjoy.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ She said she’s looking forward to working with adolescents after she earns her degree. She hopes to have her own lab some day and to do her own research. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ But Belendiuk wouldn’t mind racing more either. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Pittsburgh is a great place to do research, so if I was able to do something here that would be fabulous,’ she said. ‘But if I could have a magic potion and get myself a perfect career, it would be doing what I do now, just a little bit warmer.’