‘Doubt’ will keep moviegoers faith strong this season

By by Natalie Bell

Through the muck of mediocrity, there’s reason for faith, because ‘Doubt’ really delivers. This… Through the muck of mediocrity, there’s reason for faith, because ‘Doubt’ really delivers. This movie is a screen adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play by John Patrick Shanley and leaves the audience with questions about morality, faith and unyielding certainty. The plot revolves around St. Nicolas, a Catholic school in the Bronx that is plagued by the potential of a molestation scandal. Father Flynn, a new and ambitious priest at St. Nicolas, is eager to shake up the school’s traditional practices, favoring a more empathetic approach. He has won over the affection of the congregation and many of the children with his charisma and gentleness. However, the school’s principal, Sister Aloysius Beauvier, doubts not only Flynn’s methods, but also his integrity. When her newest nun, Sister James, comes with concerns about the school’s first black student receiving special attention under some murky circumstances from Flynn, Beauvier prepares to go up aggressively against the priest. The movie plays with shades of gray so that the audience is left with little more than a vague inclination to decide its opinion on whether Flynn committed the abuse. Just as he did with the play, John Patrick Shanley told only one person the verdict on Flynn’s guilt: the actor who portrayed him. The movie’s all-star cast certainly doesn’t disappoint. The characters are neither overly likable nor detestable, but rather, real. Meryl Streep’s performance as the austere Beauvier, who is protective and well-intentioned, though off-putting with her lack of warmth, is phenomenal. Streep plays the character in the personification of tough love. Philip Seymour Hoffman explores Flynn’s magnetic and warm character while asking where the line of appropriateness lies. In the wake of abuse accusations and unanswered questions, the audience is forced to question his sincerity. Caught in between these two dynamic personalities is the gold-hearted James, played by Amy Adams, who is slowly being jaded by the reality of teaching and Beauvier’s mantra that, ‘When you take a step to address a wrongdoing, you are taking a step away from God, but in his service.’ Adams really shines in this role. Her wispy voice is perfect for the innocent and bright-eyed nun who becomes confused in the middle of a scandal. After her more recent cartoonish roles in movies like ‘Enchanted,’ it’s refreshing to see Adams take on such a complex role that showcases her acting ability. The cinematography is beautiful and seems an intricate piecework of shots that come together to make a story in shades of gray. It’s only fitting that the movie itself seems to be awash with blacks, grays and whites with the uniforms and winter weather. By juxtaposing scenes, like the nuns at dinner and the priests at dinner, the movie quietly directs us to understand the drastic differences between the standards for nuns and those for priests. While the priests drink beer and eat bloody steaks, the nuns drink milk and eat plainer foods. These scenes excellently present the symbolism that’s hidden in the nooks and crannies of the plot. The shutting of windows against the elements is a recurring action that mirrors the attempt to shut the school up against any harmful ideas or people. The attention to detail in this movie shows in these scenes and symbols, which are woven into the story. These only create more facets for the audience to consider when deciding its opinion on the problems presented. ‘Doubt’ is a well-crafted, thought-provoking movie that makes the audience consider the problem in shades of gray. It’s worth seeing and deciding on the problem yourself.