Works of anti-Axis artist march on CMU

By By Sam Stahl

As a majority of the world slung bullets and bombs during World War II, Polish-born artist… As a majority of the world slung bullets and bombs during World War II, Polish-born artist Arthur Szyk packed ammunition that was a little less lethal. With his poison-dipped paint brush, Szyk gained fame for illustrating the cruelty and inequality all too common during the early 1940s. Pittsburgh residents will have the opportunity to catch a firsthand glimpse at Szyk’s work as the traveling exhibit ‘Justice Illuminated’ makes a stop at Carnegie Mellon University’s Posner Center starting this week. The show, organized by the Arthur Szyk Society, will feature a wide array of Szyk’s satirical cartoons and caricatures. Also on display will be the Szyk-illustrated books from CMU’s own Posner Collection: ‘Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam,’ ‘Haggadah’ and ‘The Book of Ruth.’ ‘This exhibit is unusual because it boasts an interesting combination of social commentary and beautiful illustrations,’ said Gloriana St. Clair, CMU’s dean of University Libraries. Szyk artfully juxtaposes Renaissance-inspired portraits with a modern attitude, as is the case with his piece ‘Ink and Blood.’ The self-portrait shows Szyk sketching at his desk with his political caricatures coming alive off the page. ‘I do not say that art is my aim ‘mdash; it is my means,’ said Szyk, who was also commissioned by U.S. Steel and Coca Cola to create advertisement art. He utilized his artistic capabilities to draw attention to the great amount of prejudice many populations of the world were facing. His illustrations were featured in publications like Time, Esquire and Collier’s magazines. ‘Justice Illuminated’ is broken into three themes: World War II, America and Jewish Response. Each portion represents a focus of Szyk’s work. His anti-Axis cartoon ‘Satan Leads the Ball,’ for example, confirms where his allegiances were during the war. The piece, completed in 1942, shows gruesomely depicted Nazi leaders following a devilish figure. Szyk stayed active in World War II in any way he could, including designing a set of stamps to raise money for the war effort. Szyk immigrated to America in 1940, shortly before the country joined the Allies. Though he deeply respected American ideals, he wasn’t blind to the country’s faults. The land of golden opportunity was still plagued with racism. To his shock and dismay, four months before his death in 1951, the House on Un-American Activities Committee of the Senate placed an accusation on Szyk because of the government’s misinterpretation of his illustrations. The America portion of ‘Justice Illuminated,’ however, centers on Szyk’s more positive depictions. ‘Since the founder of CMU, Andrew Carnegie, was an immigrant and Szyk was an immigrant, you very much get the immigrant experience and how they impact life in America,’ said St. Clair, of the exhibit’s purpose. While Szyk is generally most famous for his satirical pieces, St. Clair explained, ‘He also did really gorgeous religious illustrations.’ Szyk was born in 1894 to Jewish parents and referred to religion as a valuable part of his life. Through his artwork, Szyk formed image-based interpretations of Scripture and was able to convey his views of the Jewish people wordlessly. He once said, ‘The Jewish artist belongs to the Jewish people, and it is his mission to enhance the prestige of the Jews in the world … His task is to reveal to the world our glorious past and our tragic present.’ Szyk didn’t see his cartoons as just any old laughing matter. Regardless of the topic, he felt a deep responsibility to say as much as possible with each painting. In Rabbi Ben Zion Bokser’s eulogy of the artist, he said that Szyk ‘was a great man, a champion of justice … Art was his tool, and he used it brilliantly. It was in his hands a weapon of struggle with which he fought for the causes close to his heart.’ At 2 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 25, exhibit curator Ervin Unger will give a public lecture about Szyk’s work and his advocacy of humanity. ‘University Libraries are extremely pleased to be able to bring this historic, aesthetic and instructive exhibit to Pittsburgh and the region. We hope that people of all ages will be able to take advantage of this opportunity to remember both Szyk’s use of art to glorify religious and poetic works and to fight against the forces of oppression,’ said St. Clair. Those not able to make it to CMU’s campus but still interested in seeing the exhibit can view the entire show online at www.szyk.org/szykonline. History and art buffs alike will enjoy Szyk’s colorful commentary. St. Clair said it best: ‘It’s always a great day to see the work of an advocate of social justice.’