Backyard Brawl more subdued than last year

By Estelle Tran

‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt won the Backyard Brawl ‘hellip; again. But after the game, the streets of Oakland… ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt won the Backyard Brawl ‘hellip; again. But after the game, the streets of Oakland were quiet, a harsh contrast from last year’s celebration. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘There’s no one here. There were more WVU fans than Pitt fans, but that’s understandable because people are at home,’ said Pitt law student Patrick Groves. ‘ ‘ ‘ Though Pitt beat West Virginia University 19-15 on Friday, Oakland’s porch couches sat undisturbed and unlit. The few students on campus roamed the streets looking for somewhere to continue their celebrations. ‘ ‘ ‘ Sophomore Kelsey Voltz said that she liked the energy at Heinz Field but was disappointed that it didn’t carry into Oakland. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I really enjoyed seeing everyone on their feet, not just the student section,’ she said. ‘I wanted to rush the field.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Voltz said students couldn’t celebrate because they were home for Thanksgiving break. Last year’s Backyard Brawl fell on Dec. 1, and after Pitt upset WVU, thousands of students ran out of their dorms and apartments to celebrate. ‘ ‘ ‘ Last year’s Backyard Brawl was momentous not only because it was the 100th Brawl, but also because Pitt foiled the then-No. 2-ranked WVU team out of the Bowl Championship Series. ‘ ‘ ‘ Groves said Pitt’s victory over WVU was a bigger deal last year. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We had a winning season this year. But last year it was like, ‘Ha! We can be happy about one thing,” he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ And Pitt students were happy. There are multiple groups on Facebook.com dedicated to people who joined or ‘survived’ the riots after the Backyard Brawl last year. Students posted pictures and videos of their peers chanting and burning couches and chairs during the celebration. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt police are ‘riot’ ready ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt police chief Tim Delaney said that he is wary about calling these post-game celebrations ‘riots.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You’ve got a long way to go to get me to call it a riot,’ he said. ‘A riot is when no one listens and there is total destruction. When I tell someone to put that down, and they do, it’s not a riot.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Over the years, Pitt police have developed strategies for how to control celebrations. Delaney said that the police typically let the celebrations go for an hour or two. Of the thousands of people who run around after big games, 99 percent of the participants enjoy themselves without causing any trouble, said Delaney. ‘ ‘ ‘ Groves remembers the celebrations after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Seeing people out celebrating, that was cool,’ said Grove. ‘But then people started flipping cars and then set them on fire.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Groves said he thought people went too far by destroying property. During the celebration, people ripped a store awning and destroyed parking meters. ‘ ‘ ‘ However, Groves said that this sort of behavior is common on other college campuses. ‘ ‘ ‘ Delaney still believes that Pitt students overall are well-behaved and that the few individuals who light couches and cars on fire are not representative of the student body. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ He urges students to not burn things because it is dangerous and, he thinks, idiotic. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s arson, and that’s a felony,’ said Delaney. ‘We will not cut anybody a break in those situations.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ In Pennsylvania, arson by way of reckless burning is a felony of the third class. Rioting is also a felony of the third class. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt police use 12 to 16 fire extinguishers to stifle fires, and the City of Pittsburgh sometimes provides its police with more. ‘ ‘ ‘ In anticipation of a post-Brawl celebration this year, Pitt police stationed 16 officers at Heinz Field and 12 officers in Oakland. They regularly monitored the student section and had the power to send students to the judicial board for minor infractions that are not punishable by law. ‘ ‘ ‘ The police were also ready to close off streets like they have in past situations. ‘ ‘ ‘ Delaney said that when the police block off streets, they are giving students permission to gather. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt police use cameras located all over campus to follow the crowd’s direction. He said that the police are getting better at handling these large-scale celebrations. ‘ ‘ ‘ This year, students ran through the streets when Pitt’s football team beat the University of South Florida, when the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series and when Barack Obama won the presidential election. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I didn’t anticipate the celebration for the presidential election, and I’m a product of the ’60s,’ said Delaney. ‘That was the happiest crowd I’ve ever seen.’