It’s time for a fiesta with The Stiletto Formal’s latest

By By Natalie Bell

‘iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta! The Stiletto Formal Eyeball Records… ‘iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta! The Stiletto Formal Eyeball Records Rocks like: My Chemical Romance with strings and a jazz/blues infusion’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ On first listen to The Stiletto Formal’s ‘iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!, it sounds like the band is trying to jump in on the already overcrowded trend of glam-punk bands. Listening again, it’s the unconventional additions to each song, like violins or a guest spot from indie rapper Murs, that set the band apart. ‘ ‘ ‘ Perhaps it’s because the sound is reminiscent of ’90s grunge rock that it comes off less manufactured than many popular punk bands. Tossed into the mix are subtle influences of jazz and blues, as it seems the band is fond of combining very different elements. ‘ ‘ ‘ The CD’s title track, ”iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!’iexcl;Fiesta!,’ shows off The Stiletto Formal’s talent for lyrics, particularly in the opening. Lines like, ‘Heaven has malignant resonance / With a digital conviction / She sends more than I can stomach,’ come off like dark poetry. At some of the fastest and loudest points of the song, the soothing sounds of string instruments quietly juxtapose intense guitar riffs and falsetto singing. ‘ ‘ ‘ When ‘Sleeping Our Way to the Top’ begins, it doesn’t even sound like the same album. The voice of underground rapper Murs begins the song chronicling the plight of a young wannabe musician selling out. Pairing with the lead singer’s falsetto, Murs’ rumbling is an intriguing, albeit delightful combination. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Desperada’ begins with an organ and a melancholy guitar. Gloomy tones bring out much more emotion in the lead singers voice than previously in the album. Once again, wavering strings make their appearance. It’s by far the most poignant song of the album but ends on a loud note with a section of prominent drums and handclapping. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Stiletto Formal seems unafraid to explore and fuse different styles. For those who like a little lemon twisted into their Coke and a little something different thrown into their punk, Stiletto Formal is worth listening to.