Oasis keeps turning out the ’90s alt-style hits

By Alison Smyth

Oasis Dig Out Your Soul Label: Big Brother Recordings Rocks Like: British The Vines/Lenny… Oasis Dig Out Your Soul Label: Big Brother Recordings Rocks Like: British The Vines/Lenny Kravitz hybrid, The Beatles The tabloid hype has died down, but the fan base continues to grow. Oasis is the musical equivalent of Dorian Gray (in reverse). The members age, of course, but their music sure doesn’t, and neither does their ability to conjure up hits like there’s no tomorrow. Front men Liam and Noel Gallagher are known for playing off of a psychedelic Beatles reverb, complete with round, wire-framed glasses, mod black-and-white videos like in ‘Wonderwall’ or a penchant for getting high in songs like ‘Champagne Supernova.’ That ’60s influence is here to stay with Dig Out Your Soul. ‘The Shock of The Lightning’ takes on that lava lamp feel with red filters, flashes of color and random images that punctuate the images of the band’s silhouettes. But the song itself does not scream ’60s throwback. But you can’t just ignore those subtle choices. ‘To Be Where There’s Life’ employs an unusual instrument for rock music composition. The sitar isn’t exactly a modern music staple. It does its instrumental dance with bass that is reminiscent of Beck’s ‘Think I’m In Love’ and vocals that bring out that hippie ultra-cool. Then there’s ‘I’m Outta Time,’ which goes with a more traditional down-tempo rhythm. But it’s Oasis, so you can’t help but mention the ‘B’ word. The strings and keys with just an acoustic guitar melody back a ’60s catchphrase sung by Gallagher: ‘Keep on keepin’ on.’ Variety is the spice of life, so it’s not all homage to the Beatles. ‘(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady’ takes a decidedly different approach to the rock genre, bringing in a series of stomps and claps and a twangy acoustic sound. The sliding vocals on the chorus with that resounding ‘Lay down’ turn this western-inspired song into a hit-worthy track. Bringing in the classic rock sound is ‘Bag It Up,’ which shows that the electric guitar still has a place with Oasis. The chorus has a bit of a strange but appealing quality, sounding simultaneously like the Vines and Lenny Kravitz. So, its use of the word ‘hee-bee-jee-bees’ is no less manly and rock ‘n’ roll. Instead of an overbearing ’60s influence, we also get good old ’90s alt-rock. And isn’t that what made Oasis famous? Its subtly hardcore, yet friendly and approachable song styles make a popular appreciation of Oasis easy. How easy? Movie soundtrack, anyone? A montage of some kind? ‘Stop Crying Your Heart Out’ and ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ have seen more than a few. Oasis can do it all without breaking a sweat. The band has hits coming out of its ears. Oasis already released a greatest hits album in 2006, and yet it still has more to offer. So when are these guys going to rest on their laurels? My guess is never. Oasis has to be eternally relevant and continuously engaging. In the tradition of its top influence, The Beatles, Oasis will continue to churn out those hits without ever losing indie street cred. Dig Out Your Soul brings back that ’90s alt-rock sound and a brand new crop of hits to populate the movie soundtracks of the future ‘mdash; and if you’re like millions of fans worldwide, your playlists.