Chance to Cross out Irish

By Zack Chakan

A probable game-time decision from Pitt football coach Dave Wannstedt will determine whether… A probable game-time decision from Pitt football coach Dave Wannstedt will determine whether quarterback Bill Stull plays at Notre Dame tomorrow, one week after he was taken off the field on a stretcher. Stull sustained a concussion and a stinger but only spent one night in the hospital before being released. He apparently wants to play, and the Panthers are toying with the idea of starting him. Here’s some advice: Keep the junior on the sidelines. A deeper problem looms, however. After watching Stull’s backup, Pat Bostick, dance more often than Justin Timberlake in the pocket last week, Stull’s presence could be the only way the Panthers emerge victorious. So, what in the name of Pete Gonzalez should Pitt do? Quite the quizzical quandary, isn’t it? As much as Pitt fans and coaches would probably love to ride running back LeSean McCoy for 70 carries tomorrow, that isn’t a logical solution. That would be fun to watch, however. Instead, the Panthers should bust out their secret weapon ‘- even though he shouldn’t be that much of a secret. The hidden key to victory could be none other than long-lost junior-college transfer quarterback Greg Cross. A multitalented athlete, Cross was recruited by Wannstedt from Fort Scott C.C. as the nation’s second best junior-college quarterback. Fort Scott lost 24 straight games before Cross arrived, then won 16 of 24 games in his two seasons there. The 6-feet-2-inch, 210-pound quarterback has the potential to be a dual threat for the Panthers. His passing skills need work, however, as his accuracy lags behind his strong throwing arm. For that reason, he likely won’t be the focal leader of the Pitt offense. But why not let him make some plays on the field? Cross only entered two games so far this season, against Iowa and at South Florida. In one of his two snaps in the Iowa game, he sprinted for a 17-yard touchdown run. Wannstedt hinted earlier this week in his press conference that Cross might see some time against Notre Dame. ‘We’ll wait and see once we start finalizing our game plan and take a look at what they’re doing on defense and what gives us the best chance,’ said Wannstedt. Pitt offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh shouldn’t have to revamp his total scheme to find some time for Cross. Throughout camp, Wannstedt talked about creating certain formations specifically for his newcomer to flourish in. The personnel is there. But Cross hasn’t played in more than five snaps all year. And if Bostick doesn’t move the offense downfield to score, Pitt will be in severe trouble. Bostick didn’t look comfortable coming in for Stull against Rutgers. He didn’t have many reps in practice before the injury, so it’s understandable that he could be rusty. But so far in his career, he hasn’t shown the five-star promise that was expected of him. There is plenty of time for Bostick to develop into a respectable, even a darn good quarterback. He should definitely receive at least half of the snaps at South Bend on Saturday. But Cross deserves chances to make an impact, as well. And he doesn’t have much time. Cross is a junior-college transfer, meaning he already has used two years of his eligibility. A quarter of his Pitt career is already down the tubes, and he has four carries and no passes to show for it. South Bend is an intimidating place for anyone to play, but that shouldn’t be an excuse to keep Cross off the turf. Though Bostick started nine games last year, he still looks as green as the Notre Dame Stadium grass. Now is the time to find out if Cross can make an impact. Wannstedt and Cavanaugh need to determine if Cross can be an asset in his next year and a half with the Panthers. With Stull out, the scenario is perfect. Pitt might need to go for broke in order to win tomorrow’s game. If the secondary duplicates last week’s performance against an improving Jimmy Clausen, the Panthers will need plenty of points to prevail. It’s time to get Crossed up. If not, then what was the point of recruiting him for two years?