Pitt and the President

By Dana Edmunds

What’s new in politics this week? With the election only a few weeks away, both Sen. John McCain… What’s new in politics this week? With the election only a few weeks away, both Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama have been courting undecided voters by highlighting their differences in political platforms. What do students think? ‘It’s also pretty well known that advertisements don’t actually have a huge effect on voters’ decisions and voter choice, so I think it’s interesting that there are so many attack ads but not very many will actually persuade someone.’ -Lauren O’Leary ‘I think that McCain’s main emphasis in his attack ads is to show that Obama is not ready to lead. That seems to be the prevalent message that I got from all his advertising. And I also think it’s interesting to note that at the end of McCain’s advertisements, it says ‘Change is coming,’ which is kind of taking Obama’s whole key phrase that he has had in his whole campaign.’ -Megan Black ‘I was watching a lot of Obama’s advertisements. I felt that he always says McCain isn’t up to speed, doesn’t know what’s going on, like he’s out of touch, he’s out of reach with society, with middle class society specifically ‘hellip; It’s always focused on the middle class because those are the votes he’s going’ to get.’ -Katie O’Toole ‘What the ads are doing is taking what they say out of context, so I think that both campaigns are guilty of taking a statement or phrase that the other candidate might have said, but taking it out of the context of the situation that they said it and putting it into a light that might be negative.’ -Josh Vezza