Jazzy grooves run through Kids’ second record

By Alison Smyth

‘ ‘ ‘ Cold War Kids might find inspiration for its music in its travels of the world, but… ‘ ‘ ‘ Cold War Kids might find inspiration for its music in its travels of the world, but listeners are sure to find inspiration from the band’s foray into a new jazz style in Loyalty to Loyalty. ‘ ‘ ‘ There’s a refreshingly old-school quality to this album. Sure, there’s the stuff you’d expect from Cold War Kids, like the rock-style ‘Something Is Not Right With Me,’ but mostly there’s the jazzy and surprising style that makes you say, ‘Well that’s new’ in interested anticipation. ‘ ‘ ‘ This jazz style pervades tracks like ‘Golden Gate Jumpers,’ which tells the tale of an attempted suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge. This might not bring to mind Cold War Kids with its moving electric notes and outstanding vocals from 2006’s Robbers ‘amp; Cowards, but it is still intriguing. The storyteller-style vocals in low tones with piano sound like they should be in some old-time theater, and they keep this track from being a downer. ‘ ‘ ‘ Cold War Kids cannot go wrong with this foray into jazz/soul music. ‘Every Valley Is Not a Lake’ tackles common troubles, such as having’ problems sleeping and living with your parents after you’ve graduated. Once again, the piano makes a strong statement and provides that missing link in a jazzy tune. The song closes with a rolling cascade of guitar notes that matches the tone perfectly in a cartoon-like representation of dismal living. It’s better than Wile E. Coyote walking himself off a cliff. ‘ ‘ ‘ The special digital Deluxe Edition from iTunes includes a 35-minute video, 02.08 to 06.08. The video has the standard ‘making the album’ stuff in it, but it also tells the band’s history in the form of parental interviews and voiceover personal biographies. Highlights include Cold War Kids’ trip to Mexico, where band members bought a piece of tablecloth art off the wall in a restaurant, guitarist Jonnie Russell called vocalist Nathan Willett the band’s ‘little angel’ behind his back, and bassist Matt Maust reacted to recording in a studio where famous people have recorded albums by asking, ‘Like the ‘Aladdin’ soundtrack?’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Along with those priceless moments, the video has great footage of the band’s travels and concerts in black and white snippets. The video, a window into the making of the album from every level, is worth the perspective it gives fans. ‘ ‘ ‘ Cold War Kids’ trip to Mexico, which is also where the band took album photos, inspired the band to compose a song about the Mexican dogs they saw in the streets. Band members also bought regional percussion instruments in an open-air market, which they used in ‘Mexican Dogs.’ Seeing these stray dogs running in the streets provided the inspiration for the song, which tries to capture the feeling of being a Mexican dog in relation to life and relationships. ‘ ‘ ‘ Instead of hearing all the instruments and lyrics sung out in wailing notes, you can see the process and the personalities behind the band. Loyalty to Loyalty was an impressive, different album in itself, but after seeing all the thought these guys put into their music in the ‘making of’ video, one appreciates it even more.