Political groups prepare for final poll: Libertarians make plans to reunite

By Niki Walters

‘ ‘ ‘ The Libertarian Party might be the third-largest political party in the United States,… ‘ ‘ ‘ The Libertarian Party might be the third-largest political party in the United States, but a month before the presidential election, the Pitt College Libertarians have yet to meet. ‘ ‘ ‘ The group, which disbanded last semester, plans to reactivate itself by holding weekly meetings and getting the word out that it’s back in business. ‘ ‘ ‘ Group membership is low compared to past years, said Patrick Gillie, the vice president of the Pitt College Libertarians. However, the group can offer a lot to Pitt students, he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Libertarianism is a very American idea, and if you look on, say, Facebook for example, a lot of young people consider themselves to be Libertarians,’ said Gillie. ‘It’s like the new Democrat for young people. In the next month or so I expect our membership to increase exponentially.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The College Libertarians plan to advertise by posting fliers and using Facebook to invite students to join their club, said Gillie. ‘ ‘ ‘ The club, he explained, does not plan on advocating a particular candidate during the month leading up to the election, even Bob Barr, who is the Libertarian Party’s presidential candidate. Gillie said this is because each group member holds his own views. ‘ ‘ ‘ For example, Gillie said he doesn’t support Barr. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Basically I do not feel that Bob Barr represents my view of what a Libertarian candidate should be, because he has consistently supported an increased role of the state in the daily lives of the American people,’ said Gillie. ‘ ‘ ‘ Instead of endorsing the candidate, the group plans to be heard on campus in a different way. They want to distribute information about all the candidates so that people are more informed about politics as well as the media’s role, said Gillie. ‘ ‘ ‘ According to David Powell, the chairman of the Libertarian Party of Pittsburgh and adviser to the Pitt College Libertarians, the campus club has been inactive because of the members’ busy schedules and the inconvenience of the academic calendar. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s unfortunate that the political calendar and the academic calendar tend to conflict,’ said Powell. ‘ ‘ ‘ He explained that the most effort is needed in the summer, when students are home for break, and in November, when everyone is preparing for finals. ‘ ‘ ‘ Powell said he hopes that they can get the campus organization back in action and that they will hold meetings very soon similar to the ones in previous years. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Generally we would have discussion groups, movie nights and other special events,’ said Powell. ‘We’ve also been known to have our meetings at the hookah bar.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Gillie confirmed that weekly meetings will be reinstated, most likely on Tuesday evenings, and added, ‘I’m hoping that once we get going again, we could possibly bring in speakers for some meetings.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Powell said some people are willing to come in, speak and give presentations for the College Libertarians. It’s just a matter of reserving rooms for the meetings. ‘ ‘ ‘ In addition to the Pitt group, Libertarians can join the Libertarian Party of Pittsburgh. ‘ ‘ ‘ The city’s chapter of the Libertarian Party holds monthly meetings and other events. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Our local group is currently helping out candidates, pursuing issue campaigns, and we also have a lot of fun,’ said Powell. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt students, he added, can also volunteer for the Libertarian candidates’ campaigns.