Rising natural gas prices making students seek new payment plans

By Lori Stover

Students living off campus may find themselves struggling to keep the heat on this winter. With… Students living off campus may find themselves struggling to keep the heat on this winter. With Pittsburgh’s characteristically unpredictable weather, many might need to take measures to counter the rising cost of natural gas.’ ‘ Pennsylvania’s Public Utility Commission has predicted that monthly bills will rise by 18.29 percent for Dominion Peoples’ customers and 13.3 percent for Equitable Gas customers this winter, compared to last winter. The Department of Energy attributes this to the damage caused by hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. As of yesterday, the Minerals Management Service said that 93.8 percent of natural gas from the gulf was inaccessible because of storm damage. Because gas companies change their prices quarterly, consumers will not see this reflected in their bill until Oct. 1. Dan Shelly, a Pitt junior whose rent does not include his utilities, said that his bill for natural gas last winter already strained his budget and that increases this year might lead him to cut back. He said spending more money on heat would leave him with ‘less money for entertainment’ and that he would have to work additional hours to compensate for the increased costs. Some students have found a way around paying excessive amounts for heating. Pitt junior Jamie Keafer said she found a way around the system by signing up for a special plan. ‘I knew it would be ridiculous, so I got on the budget plan,’ she said. ‘ ‘ ‘ The state offers a variety of options for those tight on cash. For those with a low enough income, the Pennsylvania Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program offers Crisis Grants for emergencies. Also, all natural gas companies offer budget billing, which allows customers to spread the cost of natural gas throughout the year, so that they can pay off part of the winter cost in the less expensive summer months.’ In addition, if a customer under a certain income cannot pay his bill, the gas companies may not shut off service in the winter months.’ Along with statistics on natural gas prices, the utility commission offers on its Web site suggestions on how to conserve natural gas in the winter. According to the site, consumers should move belongings away from heating and cooling registers, lower the temperature on the water tank, wash clothes and dishes in full loads and properly seal windows and doors to prevent drafts.’