No safety zone: Fields vs. DeCicco

By Zack Chakan

Dom DeCicco and Elijah Fields appear to be quite similar football players.

Their listed… Dom DeCicco and Elijah Fields appear to be quite similar football players.

Their listed weights are 220 pounds apiece. DeCicco is 6 feet 3 inches — one inch taller than Fields. Both are local products: DeCicco went to Thomas Jefferson High School, while Fields is a Duquesne High grad.

And most importantly, both are sophomore strong safeties vying for the starting position in Pitt’s opener against Bowling Green Aug. 30.

DeCicco and Fields are considered by many as two of the most athletic kids in the program. Coaches have lauded both for outstanding springs.

So who has the edge?

Both have similar ideas about it.

‘We know the situation,’ said DeCicco of the battle for the starting gig.

‘We’re both going to play no matter what. We’re both going to come out here and compete to make each other better players, and it’ll benefit the whole team.’

Fields agreed.

‘It’s a nice, friendly competition,’ he said.

‘Dom is my best friend. Both of us are going to play regardless. It doesn’t matter who starts.’

Secondary coach Jeff Hafley echoes his safeties’ assessments.

‘If both do a great job and both keep working hard and doing the right things like they’ve done, they’ll both find a spot on the field,’ said Hafley.

‘If they deserve to play, we’re going to play them.’

Regardless of who comes out of camp victorious, the Panthers will be pleased with the duo, who each had very different seasons in 2007.

DeCicco might have the slightest of advantages because of recent football exposure.

The true sophomore from Jefferson Hills played in 10 games as a freshman last year, with most of those appearances coming on special teams. He made six tackles and earned a letter.

But DeCicco forced coaches to notice him with a fantastic all-around spring.

‘He did a nice job of learning the defense and really improving from the first practice to the last,’ said Hafley.

‘He took some great strides, not only in his physical ability on the field, but really his mental ability, as well. It’s really good to see.’

DeCicco said he learned a lot from the veterans in the secondary during the spring.

‘You’ve got to come out ready to practice every day,’ said DeCicco.

‘There can’t be a day where you have your mind on something else. You have to have your mind on getting better every day.’

While DeCicco had an early start and saw playing time right away, Fields’ journey was a bit tougher.

Fields had to withstand tough obstacles even to create a competition for the fall.

A redshirt sophomore, Fields appeared in eight games during the 2006 season, mostly in special teams situations.

His stunning raw athleticism impressed the Pitt coaching staff, eliciting hopes that he would be a productive player in the Pitt secondary the next year.

But head coach Dave Wannstedt suspended Fields for all of the 2007 season for violating team rules, delaying his impact and progression another year.

After a full year off the football field, Fields is ready to make his presence known on and off the field.

‘I’m real excited just to get back on the field,’ said Fields. ‘I haven’t played. I think this is the year I can come out and show the people who I am.

‘I just had to learn to do the right thing, to make the right decisions, stay positive and try to help work the team up for a nice bowl game this year.’

DeCicco and Fields won’t need to rely solely on their athleticism when battling for the starting job. They have help from Hafley, who’s entering his first season as secondary coach after serving two years as a defensive assistant.

The strong safeties also can simply look a few yards away to senior free safety Eric Thatcher for guidance.

Thatcher relishes the secondary’s leadership spot as the group’s only starting senior, even though he’s still getting used to it.

‘It’s crazy to even think about it,’ said Thatcher.

‘Coach [Phil] Bennett called me Grandpa. I sit at home and think, ‘I’m the oldest one in the room.’ I embrace the role and want to lead these guys as best as I can.’

He already has some advice for DeCicco and Fields.

‘Just go out there and push each other, ’cause that’s how we’re going to get the best player next to me,’ said Thatcher.

‘Both of them are great athletes, smart football players. I’m excited to watch them battle each other.’

They seem excited to get the battle started, as well, but not without complimenting each other along the way.

‘When you have someone as good as Elijah, you have to come out every day because he’s one of the most athletically gifted kids on the team,’ said DeCicco.

‘It makes me such a better player ’cause he’s so athletic and such a good competitor.’

When told of DeCicco’s evaluation, Fields returned the favor.

‘It’s a nice honor, I’d say the same thing about him,’ said Fields. ‘We’re both the same player.’

It’s just something else the two agree on.