China’s restrictions only hinder its image

By Molly Green

In its attempt to prepare for the upcoming Olympic Games, Beijing has endeavored to clean up… In its attempt to prepare for the upcoming Olympic Games, Beijing has endeavored to clean up its air pollution, its humanitarian policies and, now, its own citizens.

To accomplish this, the city government issued 36-page booklets to more than four million Beijing households, which advised citizens on proper etiquette and dress code: limited use of colors, no white socks with black shoes, no horizontal stripes for overweight people and absolutely no pajamas, according to an Associated Press report.

Among other restrictions the booklet entailed were no public spitting, no public displays of affection, no garlic so as to prevent bad breath, feet should be positioned a few inches apart and in the shape of a ‘V’ or ‘Y,’ no handshakes lasting for more than three seconds and no asking foreigners about their age, marital status, income, past experience, address, personal life, religious beliefs or political beliefs.

I have a problem with these restrictions, but it’s not with the pajama or spitting bans, or even with the absurdly specific posture constraints.

Although I do think it would be a little over the top, and certainly not the finest of example of China’s supposed humanitarian ‘progress,’ to enforce these restrictions, I respect that China is a culture that places great emphasis on conformity, and to attempt to critique that from a heavily individualistic Western perspective isn’t really fair.

It’s clear that the motivation for the dress and etiquette code is to ensure that the city and its citizens reflect China in a good light. This is a country that, to understate, has its problems with world image. And I have to ask, is encouraging one’s citizens to be on their best behavior while under the world microscope such a terrible thing?

I hate to say it, but some Americans — myself included — could use a book on etiquette.

What does bother me is the restriction on interactions with foreigners. After all, I thought the whole point of the Olympics was to interact with and embrace those of different cultures.

According to the Olympic Charter, the goal of the Olympic Games is to ‘place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity ‘hellip; which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.’

By enacting these codes, however, the Chinese government is in fact stripping its citizens of those possibilities. How can one get past prior biases and misconceptions of other cultures without asking questions about the other person’s life?

And with such vague topic restrictions as ‘past experience’ and ‘personal life,’ what is there left to talk about?

According to Zheng Mojie, deputy director of the Office of Capital Spiritual Civilization Construction Commission, the goal of these limitations was to create a ‘sound cultural and social environment ‘hellip; for the success of the Beijing Olympic Games.’

More like a culturally and socially devoid environment.

Not only do these restrictions prevent Beijing citizens from learning about those of other nations, but they keep the rest of the world from learning more about Chinese citizens and culture.

If China is trying to change its world image, wouldn’t the best way be by allowing its citizens to speak openly and candidly, to show that the Chinese are just people like anyone else?

Instead, outsiders are left feeling even more off-put by what some might consider ‘1984’-esque policies (especially the eerie way citizens are asked to repeat again and again the slogan, ‘I participate, I contribute, I enjoy.’), leading skeptics to question, ‘What does China have to hide so badly that it won’t allow its own citizens to speak freely?’

Mojie assures us, ‘Such campaigns and educational activities are now gradually improving lives of Beijingers. For example, now you’ll find more smiling faces and people are more properly and elegantly dressed.’ How, though, can the rest of the world truly believe things have progressed, especially when a city has been silenced and cannot speak for itself?

The mere image of smiling, well-dressed Beijingers won’t be enough to change foreigners’ negative opinions.

E-mail Molly at [email protected].