Ruben Brown to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

By Chris Puzia / Sports Editor

Over the weekend, someone related to Pitt’s football program made headlines, but it wasn’t new head coach Pat Narduzzi.

The National Football Foundation announced Friday that former Pitt offensive tackle Ruben Brown will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Brown, who played at Pitt from 1991-1994, will be officially inducted on Dec. 8, 2015 and will be the 24th Pitt player or coach to earn that distinction.

Brown came to Pitt as a defensive lineman, but depth issues forced him to change positions to the offensive line. Despite his effectiveness in his new position, the Panthers combined for a 15-30 record in his four seasons there. After his Pitt career ended, Brown was drafted with the 14th overall pick in the NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills.

He subsequently earned eight consecutive Pro Bowl berths for Buffalo. He made a ninth Pro Bowl appearance while playing for the Chicago Bears, tying Dan Marino for the most Pro Bowls by a former Pitt player.

Brown will be the first Pitt player to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame since Bill Fralic, who played for the Panthers from 1981-1984.

Narduzzi said he spoke to Brown last week about the honors.

“His pride in the University of Pittsburgh is obvious,” Narduzzi said in a release. “He is a true ‘Pitt Man,’ and I know everyone is extremely proud of him.”

While he has retired from playing professional football, Brown still remains active off the field. His work with the Ruben Brown Foundation, which aims to provide children with education and mentoring programs, earned him the Buffalo Bills’ Walter Payton Man of the Year Award.

“This honor goes beyond me,” Brown said in a release. “Everyone at Pitt shares this recognition. I’m so indebted to the many people who mentored, coached and guided me as a person and player over the years.”