New reality program shows no restraint

By MOLLY GREEN

Immigration reform is quickly becoming one of the country’s biggest topics of debate. This… Immigration reform is quickly becoming one of the country’s biggest topics of debate. This was clear in a recent Democratic presidential forum when Hillary Clinton was loudly booed after stating her intentions – or lack thereof – on immigration reform within the first 100 days of her term, should she take office.

But despite this occasional political backlash, public awareness is a good thing, right?

Nothing bad ever came out of interest on a particular subject, right?

Unfortunately, no.

For the most part, public interest helps nudge along the political process – fueling various linkage institutions and informing legislators on what is most important to the people – it can sometimes have terrible, devastating consequences.

What are these consequences, you might ask?

The answer is a prospective dating series called, “Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?” – a show that clearly answers the oft-asked question: How can we take an important political issue and exploit it to make cheap, worthless television?

According to creator Adrian Martinez, the show will be some variation of “The Dating Game,” in which a U.S. citizen picks a husband from a panel of three immigrants currently living in the U.S. with temporary visas.

“It aims to show love knows no borders,” Martinez said in an article with Reuters News.

Co-creator Adrian Rodriguez added that the show is no different than a mail-order bride service, except that the groom need not travel to his new home country.

Romantic and convenient!

What’s more, if all works out between the two, the show has stated that it will pay for a wedding party and honeymoon.

“We’re just out to play matchmaker,” the show’s host, Angelo Gonzales, said. “There are thousands of U.S. citizens seeking a spouse, and just as many immigrants seeking the same. So we want to make it a win-win situation for all involved.”

Yes, especially a win for an immigrant looking for the easiest path toward U.S. citizenship. But silly me, the participants are all in it for true love, just like everyone else who signs up for reality shows.

Do the producers really think people will see a promo for this show and think to themselves: “A U.S. citizen choosing their potential immigrant spouse after 30 minutes of generic panel questions, what a delicious treat! Now this is a show that I could sit down and eat a TV dinner to!”

But of course, I am talking about reality television producers, the same people who brought us “Temptation Island” and gave Ashley Parker Angel his own show.

Still, this is a new low. Forget the legal implications of the premise – and I’m sure Immigration Services are just going to love this! – but the premise of a dating show itself is overworked, and this one in particular capitalizes on every dating show cliche in the book.

It even has its own ridiculously campy trailer, which you can waste two minutes of your life watching at www.HookACitizen.com – and with a website title like that, who wouldn’t want to be on this show?

The video shows three men wooing their prospective bride in what looks to be a cheap motel room. After such comments as “I have so much love for the world, and so much love for you” and “I drink light,” the woman decides that she could marry any of the fine gentlemen whom she met not even 30 minutes ago.

But as the trailer states, only “one will win and get to stay in the country, two will probably be deported.”

Honestly, I wish reality TV shows would get deported.

Don’t get me wrong, I have from time to time enjoyed my fair share of “Survivor” and the “Amazing Race” – as well as the greatest reality show of all-time, “The Mole” – but when the shows start dabbling in things like potential green card applications, I get mildly concerned.

Alas, I’m sadly certain that this monstrosity will make it onto the airwaves, though, according to Martinez, the show has not officially found a network. The pending writer’s strike practically ensures it.

Are you as annoyed as Molly is that reality shows are slowly taking over the world? Commiserate with her about it at [email protected].