Japan should start saving the whales

By MOLLY GREEN

Japan has been a busy little beaver these past few weeks, and I have to say, I’m none too… Japan has been a busy little beaver these past few weeks, and I have to say, I’m none too pleased with some of its recent decisions.

As a country that I personally admire for its innovation, technology, fashion and delicious, calorie-filled snacks – including more variations of the Kit Kat bar than one could ever possibly imagine – I was a little saddened to hear about its not-so-friendly relationship with aquatic life.

The massacre of dolphins in Taiji, Japan, recently gained a lot of press after several celebrities made their opposition known, which apparently seems to be the only way things gain press these days.

According to MSNBC, the protesters, among whom was the actress Hayden Panettiere, paddled out on surfboards, formed a memorial circle for the dolphins that had already been killed and attempted to protect those still alive.

Now, Japan has issued a warrant for her arrest. I have to wonder, what kind of country would arrest the beloved star of the Emmy-nominated, hit show “Heroes” for trying to protect dolphins?

Apparently, it’s the same country that is also willing to hunt endangered humpback whales.

According to CNN, Japan’s annual whaling expedition has recently set off for Antarctica in a hunt that includes – for the first time in 40 years – 50 humpback whales.

While I, in no way, condone it, I could tolerate Japan’s unsightly attack against dolphins – after all, hunting dolphins and whales has been a part of Japan’s culture for centuries – but humpbacks? This is where I draw the line.

Humpback whales have been on my top five favorite animals list since I read “Zoobooks” at age 10. And though the World Conservation Union lists the species as “vulnerable,” it is exactly because Japan has been prohibited from hunting these whales in the past 40 years that they are no longer classified as “endangered.”

According to an Associated Press report, Japan is able to embark on these annual whaling trips because of a loophole in a 1986 moratorium that allows catching whales for research. Supposedly they intend to conduct research on their reproductive and feeding patterns.

Again, I might be able to believe this if Japan didn’t continue to stock its schools, supermarkets and nursing homes with whale meat. Or if the slaughtering of whales didn’t begin with a cheerful, festive send-off ceremony.

According to CNN, families waved little flags emblazoned with – and this is the part I find especially horrifying – smiling whales, while a brass band played “Popeye the Sailor Man.”

Very classy, Japan.

How can the creators of such glorious confectionery treats – and let me reiterate that Japan is on the cutting edge of candy – also be the same people who are attacking one of my favorite animals while dancing around to “Popeye the Sailor Man”?

The most frustrating part of this scenario is that while most countries strongly disagree with the whaling fleet, none are willing to take major steps to undercut Japan, understandably so since it’s one of the world’s major economic powerhouses.

Australia in particular, has become Japan’s best “frienemy.”

Since most of the hunt will occur off of its shores, Australia technically has the authority to make trade sanctions against Japan. However, according to the Australian Broadcasting Company, the Australian foreign affairs Minister Alexander Downer says the federal government does not want to take action against Japan that would harm Australia’s interests, though he does add that the government was “deeply disappointed” by the fleet’s departure.

I was too, Alexander.

Though environmental groups like Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society vow to track down the whaling fleet and take some kind of action against it, without some kind of diplomatic effort by the rest of the world, I fear nothing will stop Japan from conducting the hunt.

Probably, our only hope is if Moby Dick suddenly became a real whale. He would take care of business.

Is Japan’s hunt justified? And, do you ever have wild delusions about fictional characters coming to life to do your dirty work? Please, do share with Molly at [email protected].