Kellogg dishes dirt on Dirty Fall Tour

By ALISON SMYTH

Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers

Diesel Club Lounge

1601 E. Carson St.

412-431-8800… Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers

Diesel Club Lounge

1601 E. Carson St.

412-431-8800

Tonight at 7

Tickets: $15-$17

Borders Pittsburgh (Acoustic Show)

1170 Northway Mall

Today, 12:30 p.m.

When Stephen Kellogg was nine years old, his sister took him to see Whitesnake and Great White play.

He knew then and there that he wanted to be a musician. While his peers toiled with the pressure to get jobs straight out of college, Kellogg set out on a different path, pursuing a music career with one primary goal: to have as much fun as possible.

This effort led to the formation of Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers.

Currently, the band is making its way across the country on its Dirty Ol’ Fall Tour, which stops in Pittsburgh tonight.

Kellogg took a break from touring to chat on the phone about his band, the tour and the album.

“[It’s] way more personal,” Kellogg said. “A lot of times, my previous records touched on themes that were important to me and they’d be about relationships and things like that,” he said. “This time around, this record’s about growing up and looking at what you want your life to be about.”

With a musical style that Kellogg describes as “rock and roll with lyrics,” the band delivers a unique sound with meaningful words behind its melodies.

The new album, Glassjaw Boxer, takes this style to a new level.

Kellogg expresses the desire to create music that fulfills a greater purpose, “I want my life to be something I’m proud of and tell my grandkids about, that they can be proud of,” Kellogg said.

“I want to come to terms with all those things … Not just [say], ‘Well this sounds kind of cool.’ Instead, I’m singing about the most important stuff to me.”

Band members all hail from Massachusetts and include Kellogg, Keith “Kit” Karlson and drummer Brian “Boots” Factor. Longtime member Chris Soucy is currently taking some time off from the band, and joining the band for the tour is Kyle Riabko.

In addition to heartfelt lyrics, Glassjaw Boxer offers the same subtle rock tones and catchy tunes that fans have come to love.

With Stephen Kellogg’s distinct vocals, Kit Karlson’s skillful piano, Chris Soucy’s nimble guitar and Boots Factor’s steady percussion, the musicians can’t go wrong.

In their early years, Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers used to cover the stage with stuffed animals. This may seem bizarre, but Kellogg explained, “I always like the stage to have a look,” and mentions that the odd decor related to the band’s charity work.

Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers did drives for Toys for Tots – fans would bring stuffed animals and throw them at Boots while he played his drum solo. Then the band would donate these stuffed animals to the local charity.

“Plus, I always felt that there’s something that keeps you very down to earth when you’re chucking stuffed animals at each other and stuff. We haven’t done that in ’07, but we’ll do it again,” Kellogg said. “Bring back the stuffed animals like KISS brought back the make-up.”

Kellogg imparted his wisdom when asked what advice he had for young musicians, “Whatever it is, there’s always going to be challenges in every job,” Kellogg said.

“In college, it’s a great time, it’s so awesome. Then you get out and you’re freaked out to no end, because you’re like, ‘S—, what if I don’t get a job?’… I think a lot of people ultimately end up climbing ladders that they really don’t want to climb,” Kellogg said.

“So, whatever you’re going to do, do it, and be happy about it … It took me a while to get to playing music. I wish I’d done that sooner.”

Included in the Dirty Ol’ Fall Tour are shows at several Borders stores around the country. This partnership is a first for the band, in place to promote the new album.

“[It’s] a different animal,” Kellogg said. “Our concert is more like a performance, a rock show. At Borders, we’re just kind of promoting the album, singing a few songs … Whereas, at our concerts, in addition to playing the songs, we try to make the show super entertaining.”

Kellogg put it best in his parting words, “Come out. If you’ve ever listened to O.A.R., Matt Nathanson, Dispatch, Howie Day, John Mayer, Guster, or Ryan Adams – if you’ve ever listened to those bands, come see the show,” he said.

“Check us out because you’re not going to hear us on the radio … All we can do is drive to Pittsburgh and play a concert.”