Much-anticipated “Halo” returns, to gamers’ delight

By DONALD CAMPBELL

Preview: “Halo 3”

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: Bungie…

Preview: “Halo 3”

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: Bungie Studios

Gamers, get ready. Halo 3, the newest in the line of Microsoft’s famous Halo games, lands in stores Sept. 25.

Microsoft has had quite a bit of success with its Halo series, receiving praise for everything from the game’s graphical capabilities to its innovative method of vehicle control. The company put so much stock into the Halo game, it used Halo 2 to promote its new operating system – Windows Vista was the only system made compatible with Halo 2.

Halo has proven itself as a well-developed game, and Halo 3 promises to continue the complexity and overall quality of its predecessors. With the storyline, Microsoft has developed a highly complicated, philosophical base, a selling point for many players who object to the so-called mindlessness of games such as Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament. The music of Halo made waves as well, prompting the release of Halo and Halo 2 soundtracks – users can enjoy the moving orchestral music of Halo and Halo 2 even without understanding its place in the games.

A fully-formed plot and back story set up Halo 3. The Civil War that erupts toward the end of Halo 2 within Covenant forces will become both an asset and a stumbling block in this latest installment. The Arbiter, doubting his own religious doctrines, will begin as a friend of the Master Chief and his human allies, helping them and embroiling them further in the chaos of the deteriorating world of the Covenant. The entire universe stands at the brink of destruction: The Halo weapon installations orbit their respective planets in states of standby, primed for remote activation by anyone fanatical enough to do such a thing.

Halo 3 will hopefully bring the storyline of the Halo game series to an exciting conclusion. Microsoft describes Halo 3 as “finishing the fight” started in its preceding games. There is no precedent to believe Halo 3 is really the end, however.

Microsoft will more than likely wish to capitalize on the popularity of Halo series and therefore may decide to release Halo 3 in a way that sets up the plot for a fourth sequel or even a prequel. This may disappoint players who were irritated by the anti-climactic endings of Halo and Halo 2 and just want closure.

The weapons of Halo 3 bode well for the playability of the new game. Halo 3 will feature all the favorite weapons from Halo, including the basic assault rifle, pistol, sniper rifle and rocket launcher, not to mention the favorite Covenant plasma pistol and plasma rifle. The game also includes some of the better weapons from Halo 2, including the Covenant Brute Shot projectile launcher and the energy sword – which appeared in the original Halo but wasn’t usable.

As an added bonus, Halo 3 brings to the Master Chief’s arsenal the Spartan laser. Similar to rail guns featured in games such as Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena, the Spartan laser has the capability to destroy infantry and vehicles with one accurate shot.

Halo 3 will undoubtedly provide an attractive visual spectacle as well. It follows in the graphical footsteps of its predecessors and will undoubtedly take full advantage of the Xbox 360 gaming system and Microsoft Windows Vista’s DirectX 10. For PC users, Halo 3 might require some hardware upgrades because next generation games are commonly very hardware-intensive and demanding.

For followers of the Halo series, Halo 3 is a must-play. It’s bound to please critics with its soundtrack and graphics and rack up rave player reviews for its weapons and vehicles.

If you were lucky enough to take part in the beta testing of Halo 3 last May and June, you already have a flavor of Halo 3’s worth. If not, pre-order and enjoy the anticipation.