Mac’s OS X, will we never know thee on the PC platform?

By DONALD CAMPBELL

Apple Computer Inc. has significantly increased its market share by making the popular… Apple Computer Inc. has significantly increased its market share by making the popular Microsoft Windows operating system available to Macintosh users.

Now, with Intel-based processors, Macintosh computers are becoming more and more like their long-rivaling PC counterparts. With ease, any novice user can run a Macintosh desktop or laptop with Macintosh OS X 10.4 and Microsoft Windows XP. Even Linux distributions are available for native execution on a Macintosh computer.

These new developments in the Macintosh world have prompted many to question Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs’ next move. Many have called for him to make Macintosh OS X available for running on (generally) cheaper PC platforms.

Dell, a popular computer manufacturer for college students and businesses alike, loves this idea and has informed Apple in no uncertain terms that it would jump at the opportunity to sell Dell workstations with OS X.

Alas, Steve Jobs has refused to release the coveted Macintosh OS X code to anyone who wishes to run it on a PC. In fact, Apple has made it absolutely necessary to have a Macintosh by installing a special chip required by OS X. Without the chip, OS X will refuse to install. It is quite illegal for any average person to install OS X on a PC, because that would require editing OS X code, a direct violation of Apple’s End User License Agreement.

Why is Macintosh so incredibly against the possibility of opening its popular operating system?

Apple’s business model has, since the 1980s, been heavily reliant on hardware. The original idea of Apple was to create a completely integrated computer that simply works. In order for devices to work flawlessly, hardware must be proprietary, meaning hardware specifications must be kept tightly controlled. In order for this control to be absolute, Macintosh operating system software must only be run on Apple-made computers.

Windows PCs work in a somewhat opposite way, because Microsoft Windows utilizes “device drivers” to force it to be compatible with many third-party devices. Microsoft enjoys “open systems,” meaning that anyone can develop hardware for a PC platform. Any computer manufacturer can create a computer compatible with Windows, and multiple chip manufacturers – namely, Intel and AMD – are free to produce processors, giving the customer a choice.

This method has been both despised and praised. On the positive side, one can easily shop around for the cheapest computer manufacturer when purchasing a computer. When buying an Apple, one can only buy Apple hardware. An open system does tend to let many compatibility issues arise, however – many declare the Windows world to be one of constant errors.

In Apple’s view, opening Macintosh OS X into the open-systems world would similarly reduce Apple’s reliability. It is feared some hardware manufacturers would fail to make their hardware completely compatible with OS X.

Apple is also resistant because of monetary concerns. Financially, Apple makes more money on its hardware (including both iPods and its computers) than it does on selling its system software alone. A majority of computer users still use only Microsoft Windows, and Apple relies heavily on a core customer base loyal to Macintosh hardware. Apple fears that if it opens OS X to the PC masses, people will opt for cheaper PC hardware and annual sales will suffer.

For those who are tech-savvy or programmers, there is a way to load OS X on a PC. Becoming a certified Apple developer, legitimate Apple programmers can be given a test copy of Macintosh OS X, which has removed the safety features tying it to Macintosh hardware.

Unfortunately, becoming an Apple developer is somewhat expensive. The average computer user who is idly interested in running OS X on a Windows computer will find this method dismally not worthwhile. There have been efforts to port Macintosh OS X to PCs independently, but any copies of this “hacked” operating system are illegal to use.

Will Apple ever port OS X to the PC platform? Perhaps.

If Macintosh hardware continues to become cheaper and more powerful, Macintosh may stand a chance of being able to compete with Dell, Compaq and Hewlett Packard on the open market. As of right now, because of the average cost difference, Apple hardware will continue to be proprietary.