Media offers fluff, entertainment

By DONALD CAMPBELL

Americans rush every morning to get a newspaper, thinking that perhaps they will learn… Americans rush every morning to get a newspaper, thinking that perhaps they will learn something about the world or at least catch a glimpse of what is going on outside their tiny spheres of experience. Every month, Americans rush to buy books designed, supposedly, to expand their knowledge about the world and the people in it. Every year, Americans believe they are being shown the absolute truth about the world through their trusted information sources.

Somewhere, however, it seems that the messages in our “trusted information sources” are getting lost. Many newspapers leave some stories out, favoring, as an alternative, content telling a riveting “story.” The television news seems to run only “fluff” content, while neglecting to spend sufficient time on the most important topics. The most important topics do not always, after all, tell a completely binding and entertaining tale.

As a whole, it seems, the information outlets for the United States are losing objectivity. A general trend is appearing where information sources are favoring entertainment rather than complete factual reporting and writing. If this does not end soon, our society will spiral downwards into dangerous public complacency.

My realization about the media has been long in coming. In fact, I have realized that our televised news has been flawed for some time; one can only listen to a story about some woman in Wisconsin being overly distraught over the loss of her precious pet a few times before wondering why the news isn’t covering anything more worthwhile. I do, however, retain some, faith in printed news.

Recently, however, my confidence has been severely shaken. I tend to read the BBC first in the morning, taking in the British account of news before reading the American version. Commonly, British newspapers seem to sound more rational, requiring fewer “loaded” words and running articles American news simply ignores.

One morning, I noticed a curious BBC article titled “UK Armed Forces ‘Below Strength’.” Quite simply, the article reported that the United Kingdom was finding it difficult to meet recruitment quotas and have therefore been sending many platoons, Royal Navy ships and other military units below optimal strength. Such an article was instantly startling, for I had been led to believe (through silence by the American media) that both the United States and its most powerful ally have sufficient troops to continue effective fighting in Iraq.

I considered why American news would not generally cover this topic. The answer came to me as simply it has no entertaining story behind it. In fact, the article appeared quite dry. American news would prefer to cover articles on the exploits of strange politicians or marathon runners.

Additional examples lie in BBC articles written regarding the current problems in Somalia. No longer are the problems in Somalia overtly violent. The political problems, which could conceivably erupt into more violence, continue. Many American news agencies have been neglecting, recently, to report on problems in Somalia. As yet further proof, the bids of multiple former Soviet republics to enter the European Union has been causing some strife in Europe, leading, understandably, to the threat of economic and social unrest. American news has yet to report sufficiently on the problems of the European Union.

This malady is indicative of a population who would prefer to read news that is entertaining. As Americans, we prefer to read books like A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, which have an entertaining plot but may or may not be completely true. I venture a guess that more people have read Bill Clinton’s autobiography than have read The Brethren by Bob Woodward.

This is indeed a terrible trend. Like George Orwell’s 1984, a society without objective reporting is a society of absolute control and absolute power over the human mind. The print news, at the very least, should report and present articles of all types, reporting on topics that may or may not immediately appear as “entertaining” or “groundbreaking.”

Arguments such as this are by no means an attack on the American news industry. In fact, the news industry is behaving as just that – an industry. As long as the demand for “fluff” news or little outrage over the lack of credible news stories exists, the American news industry will deliver its customers more of the same.

Working toward a cure for our present problem is a two-fold effort. First and foremost, Americans need to read news from other countries. Translated French news, the BBC, translated Germans news, etc. are available online. Simple Google searches will reveal them.

Also, try to read more articles from the American “newspaper giants.” The New York Times and The Washington Post tend to run a wider range of articles than many other newspapers. If you are dissatisfied with a newspaper, write a letter to the editor.

In general, do not settle for inadequate reporting. Help make the American information outlets as objective, informative and effective as possible.

What do you think? E-mail Donald at [email protected].