EDITORIAL – Rendell’s new plan looks bright

By Pitt News Staff

Four years ago, Gov. Ed Rendell entered his first term on a wave of optimism, a virtual… Four years ago, Gov. Ed Rendell entered his first term on a wave of optimism, a virtual superhero to Philadelphians who witnessed the former Philadelphia mayor oversee a major renaissance of their city.

As governor, Rendell promised to continue the same type of proactive public investment he’d initiated in Philadelphia, pledging to increase public funding for education and to enact tax relief, while working to eliminate a near $2 billion deficit.

As a first-term governor with a heavy wish list, it would not have been surprising if Rendell had failed to live up to his promises. Candidates often make eloquent promises in campaigns, only to deal with the frustration of passing legislation in a split or opposite-party-controlled state legislature once elected.

Despite the odds, four years later, Rendell has fulfilled many of his promises, working with both Democrats and Republicans to increase state funding for education, prescription drugs and the environment. He also followed through on a property tax reduction initiative and a promise to increase the state’s minimum wage.

Rendell’s first term was by no means perfect, but his exuberance and optimism for our state remained steady throughout all four years of his term.

Yesterday, in his second-term inaugural speech, Rendell resumed his pace of reform and public investment, making optimistic yet practical promises for our state’s future.

Rendell’s most groundbreaking promise was a plan to bring health care coverage to nearly 1 million Pennsylvania seniors and children who are currently uninsured. Rendell will formally kick off the initiative, titled “Prescription Pennsylvania,” in a speech today.

The health care plan, which will likely face opposition from health insurance companies and taxpayers, is a smart move for Pennsylvania. Millions of Americans remain uninsured, including children, seniors and students. Without any type of health care coverage, these citizens – who may find it difficult, or impossible, to pay for their own health insurance – are forced to pay extremely high medical costs, often finding themselves deeply in debt or unable to afford adequate medical treatment.

Rendell also proposed to seek funding to improve mass transit in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh during his second term.

Pittsburgh’s public transportation system, which has a history of financial difficulties and cutbacks, will likely benefit from the state funding. Our current public transportation system is hurting our city economically, with cutbacks forcing people to find alternative transportation to work.

A new and improved transportation system might be just what our city needs and will hopefully entice more people to look for jobs in the city, which will, in turn, create a more economically successful downtown.

Finally, Rendell promised to work to reform the political process by redrawing congressional lines and examining the possibilities of a smaller legislature or term limits for legislators.

Congressional lines are often redrawn after each census, so Rendell’s promise was more of a pledge to oversee and regulate the process carefully and with a non-partisan outlook: which we hope he does.

Overall, Rendell has promised us an optimistic, yet achievable set of initiatives for the next four years, and we hope that he continues to move Pennsylvania, and specifically Pittsburgh, in the right direction during his second term.