Politics, family time don’t mix

By SHANNON BLACK

I am the only member of my immediate family to possess a Democrat voter card. And while I… I am the only member of my immediate family to possess a Democrat voter card. And while I love my family, sometimes I find myself puzzled about how I was raised by a conservative, Catholic family yet identify as the complete opposite. My family accepts that I’m a little weird by their standards, and we live normally and peacefully.

There is, however, one rule I always adhere to when I attend family gatherings. I never talk politics or religion with any member of my family unless it is utterly necessary. Since my views and theirs are inherently at odds, I try to avoid as much drama as possible by not arguing with them constantly about current events.

This Thanksgiving, however, I made a blunder.

My cousin made a sharp remark about liberals “channeling” hate instead of love. In an attempt to be funny, I rebutted with a joke about channeling love onto a page. After the awkward silence that always follows a failed joke, I explained that I was referencing the Mark Foley scandal. I then immediately tried to think of a different subject to talk about such as the absolute cuteness of my youngest cousin.

But before I could make up for my inappropriate joke, my cousin began to berate me for poking fun at a Republican. He lectured me about the corruption of the Democrats and mourned the loss of the not-as-corrupt Republicans. Although I wanted to list off a few of the key terms used to describe Congress under the Republican reign such as “Dracula Congress,” I restrained myself. I did not want to break my rule.

My cousin’s tirade ended with him informing me that I was too far left, and that supporting the Democrats meant I was too stupid to even tie my shoes. I sighed. Hearing such insults was exactly what I try to avoid with my abstinence of family chats about the government.

While talking politics is a wonderful activity, it seems to have become impossible to do so without having to insult the other person’s intelligence, morality or love of America. This phenomenon is not only linked to my conservative family. While it is normal and sometimes unavoidable to display disdain for certain politicians such as Mark Foley or even Nancy Pelosi, insulting someone simply for believing in something different is not as acceptable.

Both politicians and pundits partake in the name-calling and mudslinging, while avoiding making any decent points about the issue they are discussing. The word “liberal” itself has been turned into an honorary four-letter word that is not fit for polite company. Its usage as an insult undermines any attempt at an actual debate, since the issue suddenly becomes how liberal the opponents are and not what subject they are meant to be discussing.

Trying so hard to prove that an opponent hates America or lacks all morals takes away from the actual point a person is trying to make. It is hard to take someone seriously when his speech or debate is peppered with juvenile jabs at the other side. All the good points that my cousin may have made are overshadowed when I think of the fact that he called me stupid simply for having a different opinion on Congress.

Ann Coulter is a prime example of this. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that in her books she has some great points that could cause me to re-think a few issues. But I’m too turned off by her rabid usage of hateful speech and condescending subtitles like “Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism” or “How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must).”

Both sides are guilty of this, as there are books aimed right back at Ann Coulter with titles such as “Soulless: Ann Coulter and the Right-Wing Church of Hate.” Even children’s books are becoming hotbeds for insults with a new book out titled “Help! Mom! There are Liberals under my Bed!”

While it’s obvious that both sides are just trying to prove that their point is better than the other, I’m sure it could be done with a little more tact. I’ve always assumed that America had moved past the point of beating opponents over the head with a cane when we didn’t agree. It shouldn’t be so hard for a politician, pundit or average citizen to say that while they disagree with someone, they will still respect people who have different viewpoints and opinions.

Listening to politicians and pundits swap insults is unbearable at times and reminds me too much of recess during elementary school. I can only hope that one day there will be a successful debate or speech that is void of all overused insults such as the “party of death,” and those who are debating will focus instead on the actual issues. When that day comes, I think I will finally feel comfortable with voicing my opinions to my family without fear that we’ll simply end up ridiculing and upsetting each other.

E-mail your favorite political insults to Shannon at [email protected].