Pitt has another reason to feel “ultimate”

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

At the end of each victory, the team members of Danger, Pitt’s women’s ultimate Frisbee… At the end of each victory, the team members of Danger, Pitt’s women’s ultimate Frisbee team, choose to recognize the opposing team’s efforts with a cheer.

They cheer not to gloat, but to show their opponents that, because ultimate Frisbee doesn’t have any referees, they respect their calls and sportsmanship.

This past weekend, they had good reason to cheer for themselves, though.

The team placed second behind Swarthmore College’s team in a sectionals tournament hosted by the Ultimate Players Association.

Jen Kacin, one of three captains, said that the friendships among the players help to improve the sportsmanship on the field.

“We’re all friends,” Kacin said, adding that players are “not only letting teammates down” when they perform poorly, but they are also letting their friends down.

Last year, students from Carnegie Mellon University played on the team; however, this is the first season in which only Pitt students play.

Now, Danger will head to Rochester, N.Y., for the regional tournament, where, Kacin said, the team hopes to make it to the second round in the tournament.

“At the beginning of the semester, that’s what we wanted to do,” she said, explaining that, because the players from CMU left the team, the team makeup changed and, therefore, the expectations changed.