Deadline for registration nears

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

If you live in one of the Litchfield Towers, you belong to the largest voting precinct in… If you live in one of the Litchfield Towers, you belong to the largest voting precinct in Allegheny County.

Eight months out of the year, while taking classes at the University, student residents wield political power, and on Feb. 13 they can express this during the District 3 City Council Special Election.

Ruthisha Johnson, director of operations for The League of Young Voters, said that students care about issues that affect Pittsburghers most and they have the power to affect change.

“It’s really important that students understand that they can have an impact,” Johnson said.

Johnson, who referred to findings from The League of Young Voters, said that students care about major issues: 24-hour public transportation, more options for food vendors and under-21 nightlife.

Council President Luke Ravenstahl recently moved the special elections, which will fill the seat that Gene Ricciardi left vacant after becoming a district judge, to March 14 from March 7 to accommodate student voters.

This change came after students and special interest groups expressed concern that student voters would not be able to vote because the election fell during Pitt’s spring break.

Students can register to vote in Towers Lobby, in front of the Cathedral of Learning and in the basement of the William Pitt Union.