Classic sports flix to help the pre-football hours roll by

By ASHLEY WILLIAMS

With the Super Bowl only days away, there isn’t much time for fans to wait for their football… With the Super Bowl only days away, there isn’t much time for fans to wait for their football fix. However, true fans of the game may not be able to wait even that long. With that in mind, I bring you a list of football flicks to help the hours roll by.

While there are many classics of yesteryear that could easily satisfy a football fan’s desire (“Heaven Can Wait,” “Brian’s Song” and the original “The Longest Yard” come to mind), in making this list I’ve decided to focus on recent football flicks. After all, isn’t living in the present what the Super Bowl’s all about?

The gritty …

“The Longest Yard” (2005)

In this remake of the 1974 classic, Adam Sandler stars as a former football star whose life has gone decidedly off track. After a car chase, he ends up in prison, where he is persuaded by the warden (James Cromwell) to coach the inmates in a game against the prison guards. The inversion of power creates a great underdog feeling, and the standard use of AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” in the final game gives the action a feeling of immediacy. Chris Rock also stars.

“Varsity Blues” (1999)

James Van Der Beek of “Dawson’s Creek” fame stars as Jonathan Moxon, a second-string player who finds himself leading his team after the star quarterback (Paul Walker) gets sidelined for the season. Includes a power struggle with an obsessed coach (Jon Voight), a whipped cream bikini a la Ali Larter and numerous scenes that feature good football and funny teenage antics.

The girly …

“The Replacements” (2000)

Admittedly, this isn’t the best football flick of all time. The game scenes are lackluster, and the story line, which allows for the recruitment of non-football players to play in the NFL after the real players go on strike, is completely unbelievable. However, not all people watch football for the game – at least a few of us check out the action for the pleasure of observing guys with bulging biceps and spandex pants. And while Keanu Reeves, the film’s star, may have debatable talent as an actor, there’s no doubt that he looks great from behind.

“Jerry Maguire” (1996)

“Jerry Maguire” offers another perspective on the game of football, focusing its attention not on the players, but rather on their agents. While there aren’t many scenes with actual game footage, the film’s focus on the relationships between the stars and those who get them there are worth checking out. And though there is a lot about this movie that’s annoying (“You complete me” and “Show me the money” have been beaten into the ground), there is also the adorable Jonathan Lipnicki to keep things light-hearted and fun.

The best …

“Remember The Titans” (2000)

This true story follows the desegregation of a school and its football team in the early 1970s. Though Coach Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) and his players initially face racism from both within the team and without, hard work guides them through the season to an undefeated record. With the feeling of camaraderie onscreen and the film’s killer soundtrack, this flick is sure to inspire players and fans alike to stand together for the love of the game.

“Rudy” (1997)

In what is also a true story, Sean Astin plays Rudy, a pint-sized kid who dreams of playing football at the University of Notre Dame. In spite of the odds stacked against him, Rudy works hard both on the field and off to get into the university and onto the team. Though he never becomes a star, his attitude and love of football impress his teammates so much that, in what is one of the most moving moments in football cinematic history, Rudy is allowed to dress for the final game of the season. From dramatic-action sequences to the sight of crowds cheering their unlikely hero’s name, this film is engrossing and will inspire even the most unlikely people to check out a game.