Three Panthers earn honors

By BRIAN WEAVER

Two Panthers in the pool for Poland

Two Pitt swimmers were selected last week to be a… Two Panthers in the pool for Poland

Two Pitt swimmers were selected last week to be a part of the Polish Senior National Team for 2006.

Swimming and diving head coach Chuck Knoles said Thursday that Kathy Siuda and Adam Plutecki will be members of the team after their impressive showing in the country’s national championships in November.

Siuda took the gold in both the 200- and 400-meter individual medley events. She also took the silver medal overall. In addition, Siuda placed second in the 400 and 800 freestyle.

Winning is nothing new for the junior. Siuda was part of the 800 freestyle relay team that finished third at last year’s Big East championships to earn all-conference status. She also finished fourth in the 400 individual medley, and she took seventh place in the 1650 free.

Plutecki, who joined the team this semester, turned heads with top-10 finishes in the 50 breaststroke and 50 backstroke. Nothing was more impressive than his performance in the 100 IM, however. He took the silver medal, and is currently ranked second in Poland in the event. He also ranks sixth nationally in the 50 breast.

Negrych gets more hardware

The awards keep coming for Pitt second baseman Jim Negrych.

The junior earned preseason all-American status by both Baseball America and RosenblattReport.com. He was a Collegiate Baseball Louisville Slugger preseason, third-team, all-American selection, as well. These honors add to a trophy shelf that already includes Big East Preseason Player of the Year for the second season in a row.

Negrych led the team in numerous offensive categories last year. He also ranked among the conference leaders in several categories. He led the conference in home runs, and had the second-most walks and RBIs. In addition, Negrych finished second in slugging percentage on his way to first team all-American honors from Baseball America.

The second baseman’s awards come in a season full of expectations, as the Panthers – who come off a season that saw them reach the Big East championship game – are picked to finish second in the conference behind Notre Dame.