Largely overlooked songstress steers a mean chariot

By JESSICA TONTI

Lizzie West may have gained a little fame when director Steven Shainberg used her song… Lizzie West may have gained a little fame when director Steven Shainberg used her song “Chariot’s Rise” for his 2002 film “Secretary.” When West saw the rough cut of the film, she wanted the song to be in the movie so much that she even changed the lyrics for Shainberg to better suit the actions of the movie’s main character.

Now, three years later, West still doesn’t get the kind of credit that she deserves. Her latest five-track EP Something Good Has Begun can only be found on West’s official Web site.

For anyone who falls in love with Lizzie West, falling in love all over again is simple with the song “Chariot’s Rise,” featured on her self-titled album.

West pulls the listener in, inviting everyone to pay attention to the stories she has to tell. In the opening lines of “Chariot’s Rise,” she says, “I’ve never felt this way before, so in this song here I describe him.” West goes on to talk about falling in love, proclaiming, “What a fool am I to fall so in love.” Each one of her songs has the quality of a story while still maintaining all the traits of a good song.

Her voice is rich, reminiscent of old-time jazz singers, yet she incorporates acoustic guitar into her music that helps to accentuate the beauty of her sound. The signature voice makes her folk/pop tracks feel more authentic.

West’s last full album Holy Road: Freedom Songs, released in 2003, is perfect road-trip music. One of the tracks, “Dusty Turnaround,” talks about exploring while always remembering that there isn’t any other place like home.

The idea of travel and love completely surround the album Holy Road: Freedom Songs. The best song about travel lies in the utterly catchy track “Sometime.” West sings, “Goodbye, I’m leaving now, I’ll see you sometime.” As someone who has driven across the country six times, West has discovered the true essence of adventure and travel in her songs.

“The Day We Met,” also on the Holy Road album, has a sound very similar to Kate Bush. West’s deep voice turns sweet in this mellow love song. The guitar plays a simple but elegant role in the song, becoming the main accompaniment.

West’s contributions to music come to light when learning about her past. With a nanny who was a Chinese opera singer, West was bound to be drawn to music. Despite the quirks of her past, though, her talent is remarkable. Her songs have been used not only in the movie “Secretary” but also on television, in the shows “Alias,” “Dawson’s Creek” and “Everwood.”

West’s new album The Truth About Me: Evolution Songs should appear before the year is up. With her past mentions in publications such as Entertainment Weekly and the New York Times, fans can only hope that she will eventually get the real credit she deserves.