Blades named defensive Player of the Week

By BRIAN WEAVER

H.B. Blades was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Week. The junior linebacker led… H.B. Blades was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Week. The junior linebacker led Pitt’s defense on the way to a 34-17 victory on Saturday.

Blades, who was named to the all-Big East first team last season, garnered many preseason accolades. He earned all-conference first team in four major publications and was named to the watch list for the Butkus award, annually given to the nation’s best linebacker.

He has not disappointed. Blades recorded 11 tackles on Saturday, including seven solo stops, to raise his Big East-leading total to 88 for the season. He also has a sack and 2.5 tackles for loss. He currently ranks 13th nationally, with an average of 11 tackles per game.

Blades also returned a pass 38 yards for a touchdown in Pitt’s win over the Orange. Syracuse quarterback Perry Patterson’s pass slipped through Pitt lineman Thomas Smith’s hands, but Blades snatched the deflection out of the air and returned it down the left sideline for the score. He has also broken up five passes from the linebacker position this year.

The linebacker recovered a fumble in the victory, as well. Blades’ takeaways were only a small part of what was a turnover-plagued contest. The teams combined for eight turnovers – seven in the first half alone – in the cold and rainy confines of Heinz Field.

Blades and Pitt’s run defense, which has been permeable all season, stepped up to the challenge of stopping Syracuse’s Damien Rhodes. The front seven neutralized the dangerous Rhodes, who ran for just 74 yards on 23 carries. On the whole, Pitt only allowed Syracuse’s offense 202 yards.

The Panthers return to action Nov. 3 when they take on the Louisville Cardinals in Louisville, Ky. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.