Knoles expects big things from divers

By BRIAN WEAVER

The Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both return solid starters and compete… The Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both return solid starters and compete for the league crown this season. And while the swimming teams on both sides boast new recruits, adding depth to a team that spent the off-season working hard, the diving teams look to set the pace again.

On the men’s side, head coach Chuck Knoles says that his divers will be the class of the conference once again. Even with the addition of new teams into the Big East, he doesn’t feel anyone can touch his diving corps.

“There’s not going to be anybody near them,” he said.

Knoles acknowledges that Cincinnati and Louisville both have brand-new facilities, and thus might end up contending eventually because of the potential benefits the pools bring for recruitment. But for the moment, he expects the squad to remain atop the Big East.

“We’re looking to have a lead before we even get started [swimming],” he said.

The diving team returns Dennis Nemtsanov and Jeremy Stultz, the most fearsome one-two punch in Big East diving. Nemtsanov, the reigning Big East Diver of the Year, is a two-time Honorable Mention All-American. He qualified for NCAAs last year, and won the conference three-meter springboard event and platform exhibition.

He didn’t win the one-meter, though. That honor went to Stultz, the local product who kept Nemtsanov on his toes all season long. Both earned three all-Big East honors apiece.

“Dennis and Jeremy are back-to-back,” Knoles said after the Big East championships last year. “They have to keep looking over their shoulders at one another.”

This year, they’ll have to spare an eye for another diver, as well. Freshman Alexander Volovetski, a newcomer from Seffner, Fla., has a chance to fit perfectly into the talent-rich diving team.

“Alexander is right in the mix,” Knoles said of a diver who adds depth to a squad that also returns senior Adam Natishyn.

The women also boast a solid group. Megan McCandless returns after an all-Big East freshman campaign in which she placed third in both the one- and three-meter events. Colleen Kristobak, whose stellar season was slowed by an accident last year, is back in top shape. And Kristin Caiazzo looks to make her mark in the conference, as well.

“Those three are going to be a force walking into meets,” Knoles said.

In the pool, the women will look to the same swimmers who paced them last year: juniors Andrea Shoust, Kathy Siuda and Kristin Brown, who received a combined 10 all-Big East honors last year. Knoles and his coaching staff anticipate the three to improve in the pool, but also as teammates.

“Every year that the girls mature, we expect a little more leadership,” he said.

The trio will also have Jordan Wallace to help them put points on the board. Wallace missed part of the season due to NCAA transfer rules after leaving the University of Georgia for Pitt. But the Pittsburgh native hit the pool at a blistering pace in the second half of the year.

Wallace garnered all-conference status in six different events, including wins in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle. She also anchored the first place 200 medley relay team. Knoles is hoping that all of these veterans will serve as good role models for the incoming freshman class, a group that has impressed him.

“We have a pretty good freshman class of women,” he said. “They will be tested this weekend.” The Panthers take on St. Bonaventure on Friday and Syracuse on Saturday.

The men find a role model in Jason Miller, who anchored the Big East-champion 200 freestyle relay team and notched all-Big East in three other events. While his performance earned him the respect of his teammates, what has impressed Knoles is Miller’s off-season.

“Jason never trained in the summer before,” he said. “He’s starting to see the benefit of that.”

Not only that, but the summer workout idea has caught on, as Darryl Washington, the defending league champion in the 50 freestyle, has spent the summer working hard. The two serve as good role models for a freshman class that has Knoles anticipating exciting things. Both Patrick Mansfield and Jonathan Buchanan will vie for top spots on the team.

Another addition to the team this year is a familiar face. After taking a season off from competition, Chad White has returned to the team, and is, according to Knoles, in even better shape than when he left.

“He’s performing very well,” Knoles said. “He’s going to be a contributor.”

The Panthers’ meet against St. Bonaventure begins at 10:30 a.m., and the meet at Syracuse starts at 9 a.m.